W58 TRANNY tips and WHERE to look for one

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 22R_All_Motor!, May 1, 2010.

1. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    Ok so i'm hearing all this info about the W58 transmission and how it's a killer tranny due to it being "Close-Ratio" :D... ok so i was on Craigs looking for yota stuff (like usual :)) and it lead me to a 86 supra... and i was wondering.. does it have a "W58?" so i googled it, and it took me to wikipedia!... then i was looking and the w58 availability AND what vehicles came equipped with it, STOCK, and that there is a very intersting find; "Toyota lists a change from an alloy sandwich plate to a steel sandwich plate around '89. The steel sandwich plate has some minor internal differences, and it is believed to be slightly stronger (some wider bearings, some wider gears, slightly different gear selection mechanism, etc.). In theory the all-alloy version of the W58 should be the exact same strength as any other all-alloy W-Series transmission. The steel plate version is considered much harder to find and worth approximately three to five times as much as an all alloy version."

Ok, so here is a list where you can FIND this BEAST!!!

Applications:
    1982-1986 Toyota MK 2 Celica Supra
    1986-1992 Toyota MK 3 non-turbo Supra
    1993-1998 Toyota MK 4 non-turbo Supra
    1986 Toyota Cressida
    1986 Toyota Soarer
    1982-1992 Lotus Excel
    1992-1997 Lexus SC300
    1998-2005 Lexus IS300 5 speed

Happy hunting!!!

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    yep. they do have nice gearing, with the tallest 5th gear. thats a reason alot of people swap to it. i have a w55 swapped in place of my w50. i think the 58s are a bit over rated. and they require the hard to find bellhousing that goes to the 20/22r which i believe only came in a certain era celicas. the ones to the 6 cylinder cars had a different bellhousing to motor pattern. so thats something to consider. they also have the trans crossmember mount about 2" further back which requires modifying the crossmember on the trucks that originally had the shorter trans. which was either until 78 or til 83. i cant remember which bodystyle changed it.

3. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    but i don't gotta worry about modding the 3rd member cuz i got an '83 =D.. lool... naaa idk... wtf is the 3rd member... someone tells me about it, i look at it, then couple months go by, i forget wtf a 3rd member is... lol.. is it the differential housing?... oh and i think maybe the bell housing you are reffering to is the one in celica supras? keep me posted... i'm still new at this W58 thing-a-ma-bob...

4. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    The bellhousings arnt hard to find.

Either mid 80s celicas with a 22re and a w58, or almost any mid to late 80s trucks that have a W5X box with a removable bellhousing (on a 22r/e engine).

Must use a bellhousing off of a 4cyl. A 6 is wrong,

IDK about later trucks, but just a little hammering and drilling is all it took to get the rear mount in the right position. Imagine hammering it flat, then drilling 4 holes.

A third member usually referrs to the rear (or 4wd front) axle.:lol:

I like the tranny most for its 2400 rpm 70 mph cruising speed :runaway:

5. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

2400?... my "1 ton" seemed to be screeming much higher down the highway..

6. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    ok so far, the info here is;
    and so forth.... guys keep adding to this list, this can be very heplful so we can build our trucks to be draggish sort of.. :D