Venting

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by dillinja666, May 29, 2010.

1. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    Bah stupid truck! I havnt been able to drop the w58 in yet, and im not 100% sure that the w45 transmission I have will fit it. IF it is even a w45. Then on friday on my way home from work my electric fuel pump dies on the freeway. I ended up making my manual one work for the time being to get me home but its spewing gas everywhere. Swapped out the electric fuel pump today and found an axle seal in the back has been leaking...now I need to replace that and get new rear shoes since the drivers side is soaked with gear oil....

grrrrrrrr stupid truck better not break for a long time after I get all this fixed...:mad:

2. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    I feel you, man.

The one thing I've learned messing with my 72' is that you don't really know what it's going to need till you actually put her on the road and drive her.

I've just accepted that if I really want to keep the damn near 40 year old truck everything is going to need to be replaced at one time or another. Especially if I'm going to ask her to handle more power (motor swap) and on the daily basis.

But the cool thing about it is there is only so much to these trucks, so it won't be all that difficult to get her to that reliable stage. Limping or not, they're still pretty bad-as* trucks.

Hang in there.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  3. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Same sort of thing happened to me,

While pulling it out of the shop after I was just working on it. It blew up a power steering line. A few weeks before that a coolant hose let go on the freeway so it left me stranded. So when the PS hose went I checked my original Lower rad hose. ALMOST worn thru.:doah:

70 dollars in hoses later, im kinda pissed at it too. :mad:

But after 2+ years of driving it, I would consider the reliability great. Hang in there.

I too had a can of whoop-ass come down on me (fuel pump issues) when I swapped heads to an electric style pump.

4. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    ya the only thing left that I havnt either restored or replaced is the brakes and rear axle. I was going to swap in the 80's spindles for disc up front, put the master from the same truck in for the added bore, swap in the w58 hopefully and then re-seal and re-bearing the rear end...after that rims and tires and its a whole new truck..Just anoying that it decided to break right now..

5. priusjames

priusjames Enthusiast

Truck:
    75 Hi-lux
    Bummer...hope it all goes well.

Every time we fix something, there's a new "weakest link" with old stuff like this!

Good luck and stay cool!

James

6. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Oh, dude, you're more than 3/4 of the way done, then. It's all cake, really, from here on out if that's all you've got left.

Not exactly sure what went wrong with your pump, but just make sure your fuel pump is mounted in such a way to where it's not vibrating up against the frame and whatnot. It won't last.

Learned that years back messing around with my 58' Chevy Step-aside.

7. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    it was an electrical thing..
    the pump blew a 20 amp fuse, then when i put the fuse back and smacked the pump to see if it was just stuck and it shocked me. It still didnt wanna pump so i replaced it and havnt had any problems with the new one yet. The old one ran for a few weeks then just died so i dont know what to say about that.

On a side note i got bored today and fixed all my warning lights. The person who had the truck before me cut them all out, so now i can tell if im charging, lost oil pressure and am over heating. Kinda funny with the temp light, since I have it plumbed into a sender that was ment for a gauge when the truck is at normal temp the temp light has a very slight glow.... kinda made me chuckle a little bit, but I bet its gonna anoy the piss outta me at night, o well

8. 71hilux

71hilux Member

Truck:
    71 Electric Hilux 4 speed
    Vehicles in general can be a real pain. Sure beats walking though :)

9. Coleslaw31

Coleslaw31 Member

Truck:
    1975 Toyota Hi-Lux SR5
    I feel the pain. get the engine rebuilt and drive it then the slave cylinder on the clutch dies, starter goes, alternator then after that i get vacuum lines splitting.