Upper Control Arms

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by yota8001, Feb 6, 2018.

1. yota8001

yota8001 Newbie

Will upper control arms from a 89-95 fit a 84-88? Reason I ask is if you're shopping for tubulars or flat arms they list as 84-95 model but when looking up the stock replacements it shows different control arms for 84-88 and 89-95. I need them for a 86 yet they are double the price of the 89-95 arms

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    For a 2wd or 4wd?
    I don't know about the 2wd, but to my knowledge for the 4wd version they're interchangeable from at least 1986-1995

3. yota8001

yota8001 Newbie

4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    sorry, I dunno then, most of my knowledge is from the 4wd side. The 2wd trucks are the oddball since on the 4wd IFS everything is interchangeable from 1986-1996

5. aseq

aseq Member

Truck:
    87 2wd, Carb, Longbed xtra cab
    I am wondering as well. I might just order one or two upper control arms for the 89-95 gen truck and see whether it fits right away or needs some adjustments. They look almost identical and considering these tubular ones fit 84-95 I am guessing the main or only difference may be ride height or something and the mounting holes for the balljoint and the shaft are the same. Ride height changes could be compensated by other means.

Come to think of it though, the tubular upper control arms, such as fabtech, do require you to mount your own bushings and shaft. Which means it is possible the mounting holes differ and then you'd have to either drill them out (if it'd be just a couple mm difference or so) or swap them (which is a pain).

Sites such as summit racing and jcwhitney offer stock replacement upper control arms for the 89-95 gen (rwd) truck for about $60-$80 a piece. The tubular ones easily go for $300 and up.

This ebay seller has rwd upper control arms available. I ordered two and installed them. So far so good, sure makes the truck feel/handle quite a bit better. It remains to be seen how long those will last since it's not oem. On my truck I had to drill out the mounting holes for the shafts about 1 mm because they were slightly closer together and wouldn't fit easily. It's actually the only new ones I could find anywhere. The seller is pretty good with (warranty) returns as well.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/japanesetruck?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    ace89 likes this.