twin 20/22r engine ratrod

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by riceratyota, May 29, 2013.

1. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    came up with a idea last night about joining 2 r series motors [20/22 hybrids most likely] front to back like the old twin dragsters going to be in a rat rod anyone have any comments or suggestions, my plan is to use a driveshaft rubber joint and build a coupler anyone have any pics of other twin engines set up in this manner ive found a few but only one was detailed

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    I have seen lots of V8s run crank to crank. If you made a strong part it should work. I have thought about the same idea. I also thought about 2 side by side with a gear drive at the back.

3. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    If its a real American vintage rat it needs a real rat v8 ... Ed Roth style loud ass Fauck suscide machine rat fink tire smoker

4. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    It could be a rat rod Toyota.. Which would be sick!

5. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    it would be mainly built from Toyota parts with a little old tin thrown in for good measure[and to grab the oldtimers eye then blow them away when I tell them what It is] im going by a machine shop today at lunch maybe to see what they can do and for how much I think the key is the combo of rubber isolator in between and timing the motors 45 degrees apart so they smooth each other out allowing the use of one harmonic balancer on the front motor and one flywheel on the rear one [permitted I don't need two starters to crank it over]:lol: if I do I can just get an auto flywheel and make a bracket on the front motor to hold a second starter :thinking: and plus who said ratrods were American things some of the coolest ones on the net come from other country's and the trendy thing in ratrods is don't do what everyone else does and ive been all over the net and haven't found one duel Toyota powered anything so that's what appealed to me, and it is going in a Toyota of sorts 81frame and axle Ibeam front end suicide style z'ed front and rear with a old 30's-40's truck cab covering me

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  6. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I hope this build leaves paper and hits metal. Sounds pretty bad ass. You could time the motors seperate, just make sure the ignition timing is cool with everything. One starter should do it if the compression isn't too high on the motors.

7. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    :lol: yea its a dream right now but I do have two 20r's that are doing nothing but setting so my plan is to mock it up with them and then rebuild them to identical [or close to it] specs im leaning more in the direction of two stock motors[ for dependability and ease of tuning-they will have 32/36 webers ] cause I don't think one starter will crank two hybrids my one hybrid will kill a lifetime warranty starter in about 3 months :ROFL:

8. standardbyker88

Truck:
    If your hybrid kills starters that fast you need to back the timing off. Whats it at, like 20BTDC?

9. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    oh and byker I own the identical truck to yours 78 5spd non sr5 long bed and its orange[well primer over orange thanks to the PO] but I don't have picks since its parked at my dads awaiting extraction from the weeds and a head job to fix the broken valve guide [its the one containing the hybrid I built]

10. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    :lol:no the timing isn't the issue the insane compression ratio is I built it before I knew anything and set it up the same way my buddy built his ministock motor, problem is it wont run on anything less than 105 octane and it wont hold traction in anything less than 4th:ROFL:

11. standardbyker88

Truck:
    It sounds like the 20R head you used has a deck cut to it. A thicker HG will bring it back down to the 91 octane range. If you back the timing to about 8 at that point, itll run on 87 til about 3000 rpm then a little pinging. Thats my combo right now. Cut head and thick gasket. Running 87 so I get more gas for my buck lol. Cant afford the buy the power lately

12. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    yea I think It was milled I just yanked it of a 20r and bolted it on but the 20r I pulled it from was a claimer motor out of my buddys celica