Transmission swap

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Mylittleredtruck, May 18, 2020.

1. Mylittleredtruck

Mylittleredtruck Newbie

I have a 1990 Toyota pickup with a 4-speed manual transmission I would like to stick a 5-speed into it do you know if they make a direct swap for that or if that year truck had a five-speed option

2. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Had a 5 speed option with a 22R, most likely the V6 as well. Look at the part #s for the mount brackets and mounts.

3. Mylittleredtruck

Mylittleredtruck Newbie

My truck has a 2.4 4-cylinder engine and I've been looking but have not found any five-speed options my truck comes OEM with a four on the floor

4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I see a lot of talk here of the w58 transmission. You can dig in the forms and probably find some good info on it. Or someone may chime in soon that has done it.

5. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Ive done a couple of conversions they are a straight bolt if you have all the correct parts, I don't know where you live but I'm in Australia and the local wrecker here has all the parts you need. I'm surprised that it has a 4 speed in the pickup, can you look on the build tag under the hood and find the numbers on the trans/axle line?

6. Mylittleredtruck

Mylittleredtruck Newbie

I live in the United States of America and yeah it's kind of weird that it's only a four-speed but I think it was a straight base model the former owner got it because his wife was disabled and she had trouble getting in and out of vehicles so he put a camper on it and she used to sit on a twin mattress in the back she passed away my boss purchased the vehicle from him and I was looking for a truck like that and picked it up from him but it has no power steering it does have AC and a four-speed on the floor when I get home I will send you a picture of the build tag

7. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I had a W55 5 speed in my truck ( just sold it) as changed to a W 58 5 speed, wider gear ratios better with my engine. A 22RE stage one pro street EFI from LC
    The 5 peed transmissions will bolt straight to a 4 speed bell housing

8. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    The 5 speed that was available in the V6 trucks was an 'R' series. Same as the 7MGZE powered Supra, different ratios. The 'W' series trans was/is used with the 4 bangers.

9. Mylittleredtruck

Mylittleredtruck Newbie

So Is that the part s number for the transmission the 7mgze or the name of it so I can look it up and you know if there would be any modifications whatsoever being a like shorter drive shaft or anything like that or would it slide in with no hitches

10. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Close generalization but the Supras (through 2nd gen?) did come with W58s and the M/T IS300 with the 2JZGE came with a W55.

11. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    7MGZE, turbo, only came with the 'R' trans when standard. Wasn't an option. the 7MGE, NA, was backed with a 'W'. If you found a turbo Supra with a 'W' trans it was a swap or screw-up.