Transmission ID?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by nnywg, Apr 16, 2018.

1. nnywg

nnywg Member

Hi guys, have 2 N10s, trying to do a sympathetic restoration on one. Chassis is about to go to powdercoating. Unfortunately, the transmission crossmember which is removable had already gone to powdercoating with the suspension parts. Either I didn't notice, or forgot, but a previous owner hacked the shit out of the bottom of the brace.

Pulling the other brace off the second truck, I notice that the transmission mounts are different between the trucks. This lead to looking very closely and seeing that the castings are a bit different around the transmission mount area. Both are bolted up to 18R motors, and I'm fairly sure they're both 4-speeds. Both have the stick side-mounted rather than top mounted.

So there's not a lot of information online, but the celica came with a 18R and W40 transmission. I keep thinking these are W40s with a different shifter mechanism on the tail end.

What can I do to confirm what I have?

2. nnywg

nnywg Member

Edit to the above:

Truck 1 - Transmission Casting # 33111-30050 - Mount does not match N10 Chassis - Mount does match the part suggested by RockAuto. Toyota part #12371-33010, lots of options. Type 2409 in the parts world.

Truck 2 - Transmission Casting # 33111-05352 - Mount does match N10 Chassis - Mount does not match the part suggested by RockAuto. Toyota part #12371-39015, discontinued

Was able to find a original Toyota mount for the discontinued one in Nicosia, Cyprus, on e-bay. Interestingly there is a famous frozen-in-time Toyota dealership in a UN demilitarized in Nicosia. If I were a gambling man I'd say this part came from that dealership, closed up since 1974.

Still no idea what the transmissions are.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  3. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Newbie

W40 transmissions have the shifter in the TOP of the tail and NO cover on the side of the transmission.

You probably have an L series transmission, like L40, L41, L42, or L43 which all had shifters mounted to the SIDE of the transmission which has an aluminum side cover held on with 9 bolts.