Trans Swap

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by coconut, Apr 17, 2010.

1. coconut

coconut Newbie

I wanted to change out my 4speed tranny to a 5 speed. I was wondering if anyone knows what year celica has a match as far as transmissions go. I figure i would get maybe an 88 celica tranny and install on my 89 yota.

thanks

2. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    You can get almost a direct replacement 5 speed out of a truck that is close to the same year as yours. It will be a run of the mill 5 speed.

Study this page hard to see what the gear ratios are.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_W_transmission

I always reccomend a w58 out of a non-turbo supra/cressida. Its the toughest w-series and has sports car gear ratios.(88 celica is FWD bro)

A stock 89 would have the w56 (if 5 speed). It offers steeper 1-2 gear ratios with a normal overdrive.

A w58 offers a closer gear ratio set. (less rpm drop between gears) But it has a much milder 1-2 gearset. The overdrive is pretty tall. The numbers tell me its for 4.10-4.30 R&P ratios but :shrug:. Ill find out.

Its a easy swap to boot.

3. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    I wounder if the w58 and w56 are the same as in drive shaft issues and trans mount issues

4. kamesama980

kamesama980 Addict

Truck:
    91 Base
    toyota changed driveshaft slip-yoke style in the cars around 86-87. I don't know if that's true of the trucks too but it could come into play. length wise, all the W trannies are interchangeable.

the W56 only came in 4wd form. so it won't be interchangeable with a W58 without swapping the mainshaft and tailhousing (basically, rebuilding the trans)

As for the 5th gear, the .78 in the W58 isn't high enough by far to need 4.10s. it'd give similar highway RPM to do it, but much improved highway mpg without. Cressidas and Supras commonly mated it to 3.73 gears but they have a little more power and better drag coefficients.

I have a 3.07 in my truck with the stock W55. It literally puts 4th where 5th was and makes 5th crazy tall. Even so the 22re takes it just fine and accodring to my mpguino there's about a 10 mpg gain below 50mph, decreasing above that but always a noticeable improvement. Granted now I really have to downshift to pass, but 5th isn't for passing, I think most cars need OD to be taller by half. Either way, all the 5ths but the W58 are barely an improvement over 4th as far as distance between gear ratios.

What I've always wanted to do is use the W56 1-4 gears with the W58 5th in a 2wd housing. Wide ratios but gives you the gearing to get moving wihtout being geared to do 3 grand at 70.

5. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    265/35/18's with a W58 on 3.41/.42's gives me 2000rpm's at 60mph in 5th.

6. 77mini

77mini Enthusiast

Would a w58 bolt up to a 20r?

7. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

Uh, no. Pablo has a W56, 2WD, 1-Ton.

8. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    all W-series trans are interchangable. just need to swap bell housing n possibly fab rear mount -if ur vehicle came with a 4spd (when changing to a 5spd). but yes, a w58 is the way to go.

9. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    and the w56 is not just a 4wd trans, its also for 2wd. i believe the "F" code designates a 4wd trans assy.
    @ coconut -im pretty sure u WILL have to fab up a mount when converting a 4spd to a 5. that or just find a mount from a 5spd truck (possibly out of an early 90's model) i think it should work.

at least, thats what we had to do for my buddy's truck. an 87 -from a 4spd, to a 5spd w56.

10. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

Uh, no. F code is for a 7.5" differential. G code is for 8".

11. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

Here's where it gets interesting. I have a W56, which means first has a 3.954:1 ratio. You have a W55, which puts first at 3.566:1. I've got a 3.07 to put in one of these days, and my one concern is starting torque under load. I'm not talking about being able to spin out, but sometimes I carry a load. This load of green wet ash hardwood blocks, for instance:

[​IMG]

So I'm going to have a little more starting torque than you (because that's really what the W56 is set up for, for heavy loads), but a similar high end, which I think is going to work out well. I really agree with you on that overdrive idea. I'll just burn a little more clutch during heavy load starts. It's nice to hear feedback from someone running this set-up.

I've been playing with this site while thinking about it:

http://www.bgsoflex.com/rpmmph.html

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  12. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    in some cases, there is a different letter suffix attached to trans code, A,B,C..
    "F" CODE is also designated for some 4wd transmissions...
    R150F
    R151F

on the ID plate inside door jam, there are several sets of identification factors... the color, trim, trans, rear end, ect. yes the diff uses F code and G as well.
    but in referring to trans, there is also an F code.
    if you were looking for the rear end size, then you would look at the rear end code... if it had a F or G (or whatever) and it would tell u the size of the diff.

"F" code is not ONLY used for diff code size

just saying

13. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

Toyota W transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That sounds like someone else's designation, not Toyota, not 2WD.

14. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    The f code is for 4x4 trans . It is to symbolize the different tail cone and and transfer case adapter all yota trucks 4x4 trans are given a F to designate . Them to receive the different tail cone ..from the 2wd version of the same trans

15. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    -of course its not for 2wd, its for 4wd.

+1

just trying to share some knowledge. if im wrong, im wrong. o well.

16. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    I believe Toyota for the truck years used the letters A thru p to describe all types of build options all across the world
    So wouldn't be surprised if several letters end up on option codes for the drive trains interior chassis or damn near anything. So the above statements are true letters get shared for some types of drive trains

17. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    a750f
    a442f
    a343f
    a340f
    ra61f
    r155f

...just a few more that i found.

18. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

Well no wonder I'd never heard of them. I use a W transmission. W56, W55.... And the original poster was talking about swapping one W transmission for another. Those others are all either automatic, for Tacomas, or for LandCruisers.

So yes, apparently I'm wrong and there are F code transmissions, but they have nothing to do with the W58, W56, and W55 being discussed. I stand corrected. Now go ahead and give me one of those numbers ending in F that also starts with W. :rolleyes:

Something about shifting paradigms without a clutch....

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  19. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    sorry. yes, i got off topic.
    such a code may not exist.

20. CUCUY

CUCUY Enthusiast

Truck:
    '81 SR5 longbed
    i may tackling this pretty soon as i am looking to convert my auto-overdrive '81 toyota, to a 5 speed manual trans. i have a line on a 81 SR5, but manual unlike my auto. i will be able to use it all for parts, so swapping it out isn't a concern.
    my concern is the differential. does anyone offhand know the gearing from the auto and the gearing from the manual. normally this wouldn't be a problem, but the rear diff is already gone on the donor truck.

thanks!