Towing capacity of a 1983 2WD??

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by gstanfielD, Jul 16, 2010.

1. gstanfielD

gstanfielD Newbie

Does anyone know what the factory rating is for the towing capacity on a 1983 model 2WD short bed base pickup? One of my hobbies is boat building/fishing and the truck pulls my current boat with absolutely no trouble at all. My current boat is kinda small (14ft) and the weight of boat trailer and gear is only about 750lbs at the most, usually only loaded to about 650lbs just depends on what I'm fishing for and how many people will be fishing.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to build a larger boat and in deciding on the plans I want to be able to pull it with my toyota on the days when I go alone so I need to know how much I can safely tow in order to decide how large of a boat I can build:D

Thanks,
    G

2. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    I pulled a tow dolly and a 25-2600 lb celica with my truck. With about ~200 in the bed

I would definatly not reccomend it because it was all she had to go 65-70. And my Lexxus brakes worked prefect for the front, but the light end of the truck would literally pick up off the ground and and do a little jacknifing in a hard stop.

So figure a little less weight then that. :lol:

3. gstanfielD

gstanfielD Newbie

My wife drives a Honda Element and it's rated at 1,500lbs so I'm hoping to be able to go with that number and then it will be fine with both vehicles.

4. kenny the toyota addict

kenny the toyota addict Newbie

i have a 1983 toyota 2wd long bed and i need to pull a vw bus with it dose anyone think it could work? or have a way to get it to work? or should i find another way?

5. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    As long as the truck isn't missing a bunch of power or cylinders, you should be fine. VW busses are pretty light when they're not full of hippies or loaded down with drugs.

Hills will slow you down, though.

6. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Should be fine pulling a old vw bus

And 1500 pounds would be as far as I would go not because the truck can't pull more but like raffaelli said safety and stopping power specially if your running stock brakes and if its an automatic transmission I wouldn't pull heavy loads

7. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
    It also depends on what your pulling it with. Bumper ball or receiver hitch and what there rated at

8. minidzl

minidzl Member

Iv got magazine adds for my 81 diesel and it claims a payload capacity of 1000 lbs. Not sure about bumper pull cap tho. I'll take a look when I get home if you want

9. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Not sure of the weight but I've pulled my fox body home and my brothers type R home and never had a problem pulling them up hills so yea 2000+ pounds?

10. Robs Rn20 1uz

Robs Rn20 1uz Member

Truck:
    1978 1uz
  11. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    i have the sticker inside my glove box on my 79 it will get you in the ballpark of what yours will do i will go get the info when it stops raining [i need to go put my glove box lid stop on anyway]