Timing case cover leaking coolant

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by "88" Yota Guy, Dec 3, 2019.

?

I have owned this truck for about 6 years now. I have used it to haul scrap, run a handyman service

1. Poll choice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Poll choice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. "88" Yota Guy

"88" Yota Guy Newbie

Hello everyone I'm new to this site I have a 1988 Toyota pickup with a 5-speed trans mileage is around 216000 I recently noticed a coolant leak so I took it to a mechanic within the family and he said it was the timing case cover leaking coolant and leaking coolant from the water pump also said it was a nightmare of a job and he would probably pass said the repair would cost more than the truck is worth this is a great little truck I've owned it for about 6 years now and I've used it for everything from hauling firewood towing a trailer with scrap doing stuff around the house moving from a house to another house and handyman service everything you can imagine great little truck would hate to get rid of it. Would love to get some thoughts from people on how to proceed.

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    What type of engine? Need more specifics before even trying to take a guess.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The the leak inside the engine or outside? 22R?

4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    A nightmare repair that exceeds the value of the truck? Lol I dunno about that, might be time to find a new mechanic - perhaps one that accepts money and wants work

Based on that statement it sounds to me like he was going to do a full timing chain job, which if you're "doing it right" involves a lot of stuff being removed and is a lot of labor hours invested and you're not even doing an "engine rebuild".

If its only leaking coolant externally then you can easily replace just the water pump by itself without removing much else. Pretty much just drain the coolant, remove fan shroud, remove/loosen the belt and the water pump is accessible right there on the front of the timing cover. Probably take you an hour or two and cost around $60 in parts and fluids.

But if it's leaking internally (which it kinda sounds like based on you saying it's leaking in two spots) or if this engine hasn't been opened up yet at 216k I'd personally consider doing a full timing chain job to replace the compromised cover and the plastic chain guides.

I did my timing chain in the driveway without pulling the engine or the head, I think I spent around $400 in just the parts for this.....so figure with shop markup on parts + maybe 6-10 billed labor hours, you're looking at at least $1000-1300 from many shops and this is maybe why he didn't think it was worth it. I think a "cheapie" long block is roughly $1200 these days, a "reputable" Stage1 long block is like $2500. Last time I inquired about a rebuild on my 22re it was around $3500 out the door.

5. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    "Worth" is such a personal, slippery concept. Yeah, if you try to "analyze" what your truck is "worth" using objective concepts such as depreciation, resale, maintenance cost, yaddi-yaddah, then it won't be "worth" it.

But if you like the truck, then none or only some of that matters. About TEN years ago, I spent about $2100 to get a new front seal, clutch, rear seal, windshield, and a rebuilt carburetor. But it was totally worth it to me because I like my little truck and even back then there wasn't anything new (I always buy cars new) I could buy to replace it.

So, as others have said, find someone willing to fix it and give you a price and then YOU can decide if it is "worth" it...

6. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Good trucks & well worth keeping alive!
    I have a lot of $$$$$ invested in my 88 Extra Cab, but it is a full on show truck that gets driven to all shows ,around 15 to 18 per year.
    Fix your ride & maybe keep modifying it. LC Engineering has some great engine parts & complete engines.
    Way I went, stage one Pro Street EFI 22re

7. "88" Yota Guy

"88" Yota Guy Newbie

The leak is small but I first noticed it near the belt in front of the motor. I suspected maybe water pump but I'm no mechanic. So I took it to one and was informed the main problem is the timing case cover. Yes, the motor is a 22r .

8. "88" Yota Guy

"88" Yota Guy Newbie

Thanks for your input, I have antique plates on it now. Great little truck!!!! I hate new prefer older cause there just made better. I learned to drive a stick on this truck and many memories...

jetas likes this.
  9. Cliff Fischer

Cliff Fischer Newbie

Truck:
    1988 Pickup 5 speed, 2012 Tundra Platinum 4x4
    From one 88 Yota guy to another. I believe there is a weep hole located on the bottom side of the water pump. If it is leaking from there it isn't that hard of a job. Just make sure you keep mark which bolts come from and they go back in the same holes for reassembly. I replaced my timing chain, sprockets, chain guides, tensioner, water pump, and oil pump for around $200. With 216k miles you may want to look into doing the same if it hasn't been done.

10. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
  11. "88" Yota Guy

"88" Yota Guy Newbie

Nice looking Original Truck you have. Thanks for the input and guidance on my issue. Did you need many special tools to do the job? I know a family friend who's a wiz with engines, me not so much. The cost seems very reasonable and I would like to do this work but would definitely need some guidance. How many miles do you have on your 88 pick up?

12. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    If you’re pulling the water pump best to change the crank oil seal at the same time. These are known to fail on a regular basis. 20R and 22R.