Tilt Column Swap ??

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by 22R88, Jan 23, 2012.

1. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Anybody ever swap out a tilt from a non- tilt truck ? I got one today at the JY. Wondering if I need to swap it wholesale with the steering shaft or piece it together with my stock one ? Is it a direct swap ? came out of an 86 SR5 going in a 88 DLX. Also, I need the col plastic for a tilt. Are they hard to find ? Any other tips appreciated.

Thanks
    22R88

2. area5150

area5150 Member

Truck:
    '86 Standard Cab
    i'm working on this swap as well in my '87, I believe you need the complete steering shaft all the way to the gear box, the one I picked up at the local Pull A Part has a two piece shaft that separates just below the brake master cylinder, when I separated it at that joint I forgot to grab the rest of it off the gear box, my '87 not tilt is a one piece shaft. I also need to get the wiper relay box for the intermittent wipers. Not sure about the plastic, the one I scored was complete.

3. Enemy of the State

Enemy of the State Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 xtra cab
    I've done this swap to both of my trucks (85 and 88). You will need the plastic that surrounds the columb because the non tilt plastic doesnt have the cut out for the lever. Also like Area5150 stated, make sure you get the control for the wipers/ turn signals if it has intermittent wipers. You might also have to swap out your ignition cylinder from your non tilt, to the tilt columb. It very easy. Other than that, its a piece of cake and def worth it!

4. 1982rn34

1982rn34 Addict

Truck:
    1982 SR5 RN34
    @22R88 - Well, some parts of a non-tilt column are the same with the tilt version. I believe the intermediate shaft is different. You may want to ask over at Toyota parts if they can research
    this for you.

5. area5150

area5150 Member

Truck:
    '86 Standard Cab
    I can confirm the intermediate shaft IS different.

6. Chucky

Chucky Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 pickup reg cab,82 sr5 long bed,93 reg cab sr5
    Just did the swap in my 88

7. Chucky

Chucky Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 pickup reg cab,82 sr5 long bed,93 reg cab sr5
    Still enjoying my tilt steering also have to intermittent wipers as well but will not installed