This past weekend

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TRUCK ACTION, Mar 28, 2023.

1. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    So FFF was a great show as always, I left Friday morning @ 5 we hit a bad traffic jam at Altamont Pass where 5 lanes dropped to one ,we were in the middle. Took a Hr going uphill & a little less going down.
    Had to ride the clutch & hold rpm's up a little..
    414 miles latter & 2 gas stops latter ( I gas up @ 1/2 a tank around 6 gals always), a seem we lost the starter, a grinding noise & no engagement of the starter., call ahead to Bull City AZ ,found a shop that said they could do the install of a new starter & had one, they close at 3 , talked them into waiting if I were to be late. So from 40 miles south of Barstow Ca. to Bullhead city, a distance of 163 miles we went at between 85 & 100mph.
    UPON inspection they found the the steel outer ring on the aluminum flywheel has separated ( heat from clutch ) & was bouncing around damaging the all in there!
    They could do the repair , but were closed over the weekend!
    So we made the show but no truck, & had to stay tough Monday. A stock steel flywheel & stock clutch kit , through out & pilot bearings also, $1,400!!
    Left the shop @ 4 pm Monday, got home at 1:40 am , 595.7 miles . 1,191.4 miles total around trip!!
    One hell of a road trip!

Perkolator and jetas like this.
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    What a bummer!! Luckily it wasnt a more catastrophic failure and you were able to drive home

TRUCK ACTION likes this.
  3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    We were very,very lucky that the steel ring while bouncing around didn't break apart & come though the truck or lock up the engine which would have de stored it!!

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    This is making me want to pull my flywheel and inspect it

5. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 22R Long Bed 5-Speed
    Should also consider this the amount of times I've stalled my truck up to now... :thinking: