T-belt light reset, 81 diesel pickup ??

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Benno, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Benno

Benno Newbie

Truck:
    81 diesel pickup
    Hey folks ... Searched the sight for info on t-belt light reset for an 81 diesel pickup and came up empty. Looks like the light triggers on the 50,000s on the odometer. I just rounded 250,000 and the light came on. Just did the belt 5k ago. One YouTube says to hold in the trip meter and flip the key. Another says it involves pulling the instrument panel. No trip meter on this truck. Any wisdom out there?
    Thanks in advance. Ben

2. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    If it's like my old 81 22r, There's a little box tucked underneath the dash (possibly near the top of the brake pedal... can't remember). It had a access hole the size of a toothpick could fit in. Push the button in using said toothpick while the power to the dash is on. The light should reset and go out. Sorry, this is a vague memory. Something I remember doing years ago. I'm sure someone else can chime in on the correct method but I do remember a little box down there to reset. Hope that helps and good luck

3. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    mine has a little rubber plug on the instrument cluster glasses near the bottom of the speedo. Remove the plug there is a reset button. You will need a straightened out paper clip or a bit of wire to push it in.