superchared 22re ???s

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by rida4christ, May 11, 2013.

1. rida4christ

rida4christ Member

Anybody here have that setup? And if you do, do you have a built thread? Also can a supercharged 22re be affect negatively in smoging it?

I know turbo is better, but im trying to weigh what would be easier to convert back when smoging is required?

2. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Turbo isn't always better. Sure, you can (generally) pull more peak HP out of a turbo setup, but (again, generally) you'll end up with a wider powerband with supercharging. In addition, you'll see more power gain in the low end with a super over a turbo.

Turbo is best for applications that put you closest to the peak powerband more often. If you run hard, race, or just love going all out all the time, turbo is probably the choice.

Superchargers (roots style, at least) will develop their power across the entire range, and lag is minimal as it's connected directly to the pulley system and isn't relying on the elastic effect of exhaust flow. while technically not as efficient at peak, they make up for it across a wider rpm range, and would therefore be considered more streetable.

3. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    I no there's a guy on YouTube running a blower on a 22re be pretty nice to have nice bump in hp not sure if anybody has one n this forum there pretty expensive .some can be had on eBay used for a decent price supercharger shouldn't have any ill effect on smog sense it's not doing much at idle for the sniff test . LC engineering may have a smog legal kit dunno

4. rida4christ

rida4christ Member

Thanx so much, LC are they in California?

5. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Arizona I think

6. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    But ~4500 bucks for 30 hp? Ill pass. You can run a low boost supercharger on a stock engine, but they recommend a fuel management system. Run a high boost setup for only 100 bucks more i think. It gives you 55 hp. But you have to lower you engine compression plus run fuel management.

IMO. Not worth it.

7. rida4christ

rida4christ Member

Yea I just saw that price on the website, wow!

8. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    neither one is smog legal in Nazi-cali. imho you can tune either setup to pass smog though. I would focus on your primary use of the truck.

9. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Either way I think you'll be happy with any type of forced induction on a 22R. It really brings them to life!!

10. TDS909

TDS909 Veteran

Truck:
    1992 st cab
    I would go with a turbo set up,

11. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    It's expensive I agree . Is it more than 30hp to 55hp can be if you break the rules and what gear head doesn't . I agree with turbo blow thru forced induction . Wakes the r series motor up either turbo or blower ..there's an easy 100hp gain with proper fuel and ignition set ups with arp head bolts . Gotta give a little to play a little .. 4500 is a lot t be expected with lc .....a turbo setup can be built for less than that with quality in mind

12. rida4christ

rida4christ Member

Lol nazi-cali, yea ok so legaly tune to smog so if I tune to pass smog I can take it to any smog place and im good, or do I still need a special smog friend place?

13. rida4christ

rida4christ Member

Ok so how about a converted turbo setup, anyone here what does it take?

14. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    I ment no disrespect lol. Far as I know, in the state of California, if you are adding a power adder (turbo or supercharger) and your truck did not come with one from the factory or you didn't use a 50 state legal kit, that you will fail the smog visual inspection without a special friend.

15. rida4christ

rida4christ Member

:)
    Lol no I agree, thanx for the input.

16. Turbo Blow Through

Truck:
    87 hilux
    What does that mean? Converted turbo? Like when some goes from turbo to supercharger? Or naturally aspirated to turbo/super charge?

17. rida4christ

rida4christ Member

what I mean when I say converted is "turn into" or "changed to" no matter if it was stock or what evs. :)

18. Turbo Blow Through

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Well I'm running a homemade turbo setup on a stock aisin carb and and the most expensive part I've found to be is the exhaust manifold. I think its 600$ for a nice one and u can get turbos all day long for 300$+change from god speed performance.but there no cheap way to do it by buying everything to boost it. its alot cheaper to build as many components of your kit as possible if you have the means

19. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Very doable.

Only thing limiting you to that is you have to run low boost, and you'll need a fuel management system.

Don't forget we have cast pistons, so you can't do much past 5-6psi, if I'm correct.

Forged pistons and a standalone, you can have plenty of fun. Also, upgrading your injectors.

Aside from that, a good tune to match and you'll have yourself a reliable turbocharged setup. Sure you'll include things like oil lines, exhaust piping, wastegate, blow off valve, etc etc etc, but in the end, you'll have yourself a turbo charged 22RE. And make sure you post pics and videos, because I can hear people talk all day about their 22r's and re's but I never see an actual running video.

20. rida4christ

rida4christ Member

Yea I can start and drift off into all kinds of possibilities, I just sold my supra cause Its not street legal and don't have the money at this time to enjoy it on the track. So I want my pickup to pickup, but got to keep it "legal" :'( (sad story)

Anyways! Im about to spend some money on a lce headers and custom catback with flow master and mild cam. So yea planning on where to throw this money at.

You peeps are awesome thanx for all this info.