Suicide doors??

Discussion in '1989-1995 Pickup Discussion' started by stroked90hatch, Apr 4, 2018.

1. stroked90hatch

stroked90hatch Enthusiast

Thinkin of doin suicide doors...gonna run thw single hinge setup...anyone still using factory door handles and all?...

2. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    You could move the factory door handles forward, or adapt the linkages with a considerable amount of work to stay in the stock location. It all comes down to your level of fabrication skill. You'll likely end up swapping equipment left to right so it all lines up relatively easy. Poppers and actuators in some ways is easier

If you decide on actuators, with or without poppers, let me say as an installer you should make damn sure there's an ignition lockout to the electrics. Reason being if you accidentally hit the button while driving, you don't want instant air brakes. With the way you're thinking, you'd have to physically pull on the door handle, so it might be the way to go. Consider adding (if possible) an ignition lock actuator/trigger so you can't pop the door open while driving even with the handle/latch setup

I recommend a double hinge purely for longevity, but you do what you feel is right

JERSEY likes this.
  3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I suicided by doors using stock hinges & latches, also run a Locar safety lock.
    My doors are shaved & use Spail solenoids.
    This is a lot of fab work, more than if you use a kit which swings the door like a barn door, which I've done on a friends truck.
    You can find my post on this site with lots of photo's. My doors open into the body just as stock. I only know of one other person doing this & he's the one I got all the info from.
    I will add I did it a little different from his as the hinge plate is 10ga. chrome -moly. And I used donner doors to cut the end panels from & new hinges!:cool:

4. stroked90hatch

stroked90hatch Enthusiast

I seen ya post but non of the pics work for some reason