stock & drop shock guide chart

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by SD YOTA, Sep 14, 2013.

1. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    so ive had lots of people ask me questions in regards to what shock to run for what drop n such and i always end up doing the same research when needed so im just gonna post up all the shock info i have thus far.

*****be aware that this was my personal research as to what i found that worked or fit to the application i was using it for. this is just a guide to show you what i found and information that may help you source the correct length shock you need for your application.*****

so here it is. charts will be labled by front or rear application, brand, vehicle application, followed by part number, compressed, extended, and travel length.

keep a few things in mind. figuring out what shock is right for you, all depends on your setup. examples are, if you have drop arms, and drop spindles, but torsions are left alone overall, a stock length shock will work just fine, if not maybe a slightly shorter than stock shock. however, if you have drop arms and the rest of your drop is via torsion bars up front, you will likely need a smaller overall length and travel shock in order for your front suspension to work correctly without bottoming out too soon.

for the rear. if you have ANY size (0.5" - 5") drop blocks running stock leafs, a stock length shock will work just fine since your shock mounting point has not changed. however, if you use any other means to drop the rear such as drop leafs, clamps, or removing leafs, you will want to source a shorter shock so as to not bottom out too soon, (similar effect as the front).

Front shock: Monroe

Application || part# || compressed || extended || travel ||

92' toyota p/u || 32383 || 9.3" || 14.0" || 5.1 || <<< stock replacement

92' gmc sonoma || 32132 || 8.6" || 13.3" || 4.6 || *

Rear shock: Monroe

92' toy p/u || 37073 || 13.0" || 20.7" || 7.7" || <<< stock replacement

98' toy tacoma || 37112 || 11.9" || 19.6" || 7.6" || *

Front shock: procomp / Toxic shocks

92' toy p/u || 413515 || 9.0" || 13.3" || 4.3" ||

92' gmc sonoma || 411015 || 7.25" || 10.5" || 3.27" || **

Rear shock: procomp / toxic shocks

80' gmc jimmy || 413509 || 9.2" || 13.6" || 4.3" || ***

*option B || 414509 || 9.8" || 15.0" || 5.1" || ***

98 tacoma || 415500 || 10.1" || 15.5" || 5.3" || ***

Rear shock: Monroe Air shocks

68' VW bug || ma803 || 10.5" || 16.1" || 5.6" || ***

83' corvette || ma785 || 9.5" || 14.0" || 4.5" || ***

* shock is slightly shorter overall and shorter travel than stock.

** substantially shorter overall, and shorter travel than stock.

*** shorter shock than stock, should ONLY be used when rear is dropped in any way other than drop blocks (i.e. drop springs, removing leaf springs, spring clamps...etc.) these will also require the swap of the existing bushings for your stock bushings.

TheKevin likes this.
  2. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    Great info. Who has all the specs for the pinto & camaro front shocks?

3. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    camaro front shocks are gonna be roughly the same dimensions as the gmc sonoma shock but only 0.2 inches longer... hence why i didnt post it. the gmc shock is a better fit.

4. kingtacoma951

kingtacoma951 Addict

Truck:
    88 SR5 Xtra Cab
    As always good info man....:waytogo: what brand would you recommend ? Looking to replace my front shocks

5. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    depending on what your setup is, either kyb monomax, or toxics. toxics help with torsion lowered front ends, monomax are the stiffest shocks out there but are better fitted for control arm and spindle combined drops.

10-LUX likes this.
  6. 0darkness9

0darkness9 Newbie

Truck:
    1993 Toyota pickup
    Good info. So the other options under the stock option, (other vehicles) are what you have found to work to reduce bottoming out?

7. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    correct. as mentioned, it all depends on your setup ive used some of the shorter travel shocks for trucks that had nothing but full drop on a bj flip and torsion drop setup on the front end.

doeshtech used to make similar "shorty shocks" for people that dropped trucks back in the day with that method, so they were around 2" shorter than stock and worked great.

if you got questions regarding a setup, i can probably recommend the right sized shock for your setup.

8. kamesama980

kamesama980 Addict

Truck:
    91 Base
    ~90 GM c1500 (2wd) front shocks are about .5" shorter than ours. Do have to widen the lower mounting holes a hair but gives you huge options for better shocks from the parts stores (like monroe reflex monotubes) valved much stiffer than normal for our trucks. From places like rockauto tons cheaper than aftermarket stuff too. gas charge pressure will lift the truck about as much as a BJ flip lowers it tho.

Easy way to find matching stuff: copy the monroe shock dimensions table to excel and set up filters for dimensions and mounting types. Once you find close matches, look up what the part numbers are for (how I came up with the C1500 truck shock)

9. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    yup, if you type in the same numbers on summit, they will give you applications as well... its a process but this is what i came up with on many occasions.

10. *chalo*

*chalo* Newbie

Truck:
    92 toyota pickup
    So i measured my front shock from where
    It bolts on top and bottom an it measures
    11"1/2 extended and 8"1/2 compressed.
    Do you know if there's any good shock brand
    this short?

11. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    from what i can see, its pretty close to the dimensions of a toxic shoc wich have proven pretty nice options to a dropped application. the toxic #413515 compressed measures 9" and extended 13.3" with 4.3" of travel.

the other option is the toxic #411015 wich is even shorter at 7.25" compressed, 10.5" extended, and 3.27" of travel...

i would suggest you have the truck on level ground and see how much travel is left on your shock. mine has roughly 2" of travel left, so its right smack in the middle of my shock's range of travel. i have the # 413515 shock and they have worked great. measure your travel left at ride height, and then lift the truck with front tires off the ground and remeasure your travel and see how much of it you are using. this will give you a better idea of what length shock and such you should use for your ride height.

12. *chalo*

*chalo* Newbie

Truck:
    92 toyota pickup
    Once again thanks a lot man, this was really very
    helpful for me. I didnt know there was an other options
    out there to try and now i get to test this couple options
    you gave me, since i always wanted to try something
    diffrent!

13. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    fosho brother!

14. nwprpht

nwprpht Member

Is this for trucks 84-92 or what? I'm pretty confused

15. cruuz

cruuz Newbie

Truck:
    It's an '80
    So I haven't read thru this entire thread for updates in a little while, but I wanted to share a little info since I've been doing it for myself.

QA1 stocker star front shock
    P/N TS505
    Single ADJUSTABLE :headbang:
    13.5" extended, 8.75" compressed

These specs put them just about in between the factory's and toxic numbers. I'll be putting them on my '80 in the next couple of weeks, along with a few other tricks. But those are for another thread all together:D
    *I'm aware that the shock bodies on these units are a bit bigger diameter that the stockers, but in my opinion it's worth the small trouble to fit them and get adjustability

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  16. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    Bump!!"

17. Pickup

Pickup Newbie

Hi, truck in question is a 94 base std cab 22re.
    I'm in the process of going lower. Currently bj flip and 2in blocks. Have djm arms and 3in drop leafs to install (leafs on the way)
    I want to go air in the rear. Monroe 803 is what I'm seeing is best for what I'm doing.
    Am I going to have to swap shock bushings? I've had all three Gabriel options from Autozone and plan to return the current top level ones, and may not have bushings to swap.
    I'm going for a smooth ride btw.

I'm still unsure of the front. I will mostly only lower the t bars to get an even 4in from the front.

18. lekuwhoaridez671

lekuwhoaridez671 Newbie

Truck:
    91 2wd single cab
    Can I is this set up for an 86 single cab? I have spindles and lowered torsion up front. 3" blocks and belltech leafs in the back. Thanks