Sticking Throttle Cable

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Live42day90, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Live42day90

Live42day90 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1995 Pickup
    Anyone have this issue? When i start the truck or at idle, the throttle cable sticks. I can only get it to go to normal RPMs when I jab the pedal to the floor and release it real fast. Other than that it stays at 1.5-2K rpm. After throwing some WD-40 on it, it solves is for a couple days but it happens again. Any help is appreciated!

2. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Replace it. It probably needed replacing before, but definitely needs it after shooting it with WD-40. And please, if you get a new one, don't put WD-40 any where near it!

3. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Before assuming it’s the cable check your accelerator pedal for sticking. Happened on my truck. A little lubricant on the hinge could solve your problem.

4. BatryOpratedBoy

BatryOpratedBoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Brave Little Toaster (Diana) and Salsa Verde (Traction Control)
    Wd40 is NOT a lubricant, my dude. It's a cleaner at best. Put some Tri-Flow or teflon based lube on it for a few days so you can drive safely while you wait for your new cable to show up.

Justin Danger likes this.
  5. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Try cleaning your throttle body butterfly/flapper. When I first got my 22re truck I was having sticky throttle issues and checked a lot of stuff for the issue. Decided to look inside the throttle body at the butterfly that opens/closes with the throttle and found my problem - it was all gunked up with a black sooty film, so I wiped out what I could, then stuffed a rag in there and went at it with some intake cleaner and a toothbrush -- resolved my issue.

6. Live42day90

Live42day90 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1995 Pickup
    Thank you all for the information. I cleaned up the throttle body, it was DIRTY. It solved the issue for about a day or so and it started to do the same thing. The cable is not the issue, its a bit loose. No vacuum leaks. Brand new PCV and gromet installed. Thinking this may be a TPS issue...

7. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    My sticking issue was also the pedal, just like fred. Almost 4 decades of gunk and rust. I removed it and have just an arm sticking down. Also, make sure the arm under the dash isnt sticking either.

But like you mentioned, it could be the sensor

8. RAS671

RAS671 Member

Your TPS could be going out or needs re-calibration. One thing about the TPS is that it is SUPER sensitive. One tick off and it’ll have that beast going bizerk.

If it is your TPS, below is the link with a link I posted for chello671. Calibrating your TPS is tricky AF. So be patient and know that you’re gonna have to calibrate and check timing all the time.

A TPS at Napa is a lot cheaper than going OEM. I know most people are about OEM, but not everyone’s a millionaire :shrug:

Anyway, here’s that link:

https://toyotaminis.com/forum/threads/acceleration-issues.21881/#post-219689

9. RAS671

RAS671 Member

Also, to everyone’s response about gunk behind your TB and in your intake, that’s all because of the EGR system.

Exhaust Gas gets recycled (hence cleaner emissions for the environmentalists) into your intake leaving all that deposit residual build-up. Unless you’re in a smog state, delete all that shit! You don’t need it! I’ve owned two EFI trucks and when I first learned about that, my EFI chamber, plenum, and TB has been cleaner than that purified water y’all drink! Lol.

10. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    I love this website. I have the same problem but with a little help from guys with more experience I find most issues to be handled in my garage. I'll check my hinge when I get home from work.

11. Juicyy

Juicyy Member

Truck:
    1993 single cab 22re 5sp rwd
    I had this issue.... When I started my truck, I would have to jab the skinny pedal to get it to move smoothly. I took the intake hose off the throttle body and noticed buildup. Some carb cleaner and a rag did the trick to remove the gunk from the inside of the TB, and now the accelerator is smooth from the first touch.