Steering wheel compatibility

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by THorn, May 20, 2021.

1. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    hey, just fishing here. Does anyone happen to know if the 75-78 2 spoke steering wheel is compatible with the 72-74? I want to replace my horn pad cover piece, and later ones are more plentiful. I also like the look of the more minimal 2 spoke wheel, so I’m considering swapping out the entire steering wheel. The pads from the whole RN20 gen look identical to me, 2 spoke or 3, as does the mounting bits. Can someone confirm?

2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    My hubs from a supra so I'm pretty sure the later wheel will work. Can't be 100% sure the horn and turn signal canceller will work but 99% sure it will bolt up.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The NRG hub i have fits newer vehicles so il definitely say probably every toyota wheel will bolt up. Electrical is another thing

4. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Thanks! I can’t see any difference in the contacts for the horn. The canceller posts looks identical but if not I can probably make alterations, or just use the horn pad.

So many things are congruent between the earlier/later RN20s, but there’s all these annoying details that get changed. I just read that there’s 10cm more floor panel in the 75+ trucks. I wish I’d run across that info sooner. My long legs would really appreciate another 10cm!

5. Zachary Neuman

Zachary Neuman Newbie

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    The horn bars are interchangeable. The earlier ones were made of foam and vinyl, and I've yet to see one that isn't shrunk up or damaged otherwise, so I swapped mine for the later plastic version. I would assume the wheels are interchangeable as well. I have a two spoked wheel on a column I pulled out of a 1978, but never have compared it to one of my 1973 columns.

THorn likes this.