Stand Alone Ignition System (S.A.I.S)

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 22R_All_Motor!, Sep 18, 2010.

1. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    Well, i want to be able to do a S.A.I.S.
    I got a good start, one of my co workers replaced 6 of his coil packs
    they were still good but he just wanted to do a tune up
    plus the coil packs i have will be for testing purposes...
    they are off of a Lincoln LSE

So far I have these coils now i need to know whats next, oh and btw, they
    are the two pins so yea, that ought to make it a lot easier and fun!

2. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    Im not sure what your tring to do but im interested.

3. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    you know like on most new vehicles they have individual coils right on top of the plugs? well, thats what i wanna do!!
    only differently.. lol... and much cheaper...

4. IBeSeeN

IBeSeeN Addict

Truck:
    89 Toyota
  5. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
  6. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    i searched but couldnt find it, so its either in the mega squirt bible or under some wierd thread name.

but what your after has been done here, magnetic trigger on the crank pulley and controlled by mega squirt

http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?board=18.0

i wanna know if there is a way to run coil packs just off the dizzy, no comp involved. i would think with a 2 wire coil pack, you could just run a hot lead to each pack then ground out the "coil wire" from the dizzy and run some ground wires from dizzy to coil pack. it makes sense to me but who knows if its possible.

7. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    A plug can fire once a revolution (on compression and exhaust). Thats a waste spark system.

Firing every stroke? The firing at TDC intake and BDC intake worries me.

Ive tried to run two coils off of one set of points. It didnt work. But ignitor system might do it. :shrug:

Worst thing you could do is fry your ignitor. :lol:

8. project_DragTruck_v2.0

project_DragTruck_v2.0 Veteran

I think I'll just stick with an MSD box. Especially since the 6AL2 came out, it's got everything I'd want anyway.

I like the idea of the SAIS. I'm unsure of what your looking to have your final result be. Are you wanting to have the ability to modify timing curves? Are you looking for a more powerful spark? I'm interested, but I don't know what end result you want.

9. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    basically wat im trying to do is like on the newer vehicles they get better power and stuff from there individual coils, see like on our trucks and stuff they have one dizzy transferring the power from the coil to the cap to the plug to the wire vs the SAIS would be one coil on top of the plug
    but yea i know what sho nuff was talking about i was thinking the same thing but think about this, the plug being fired on int, comp, power, & exh. that would kinda be bad, the plug would be 4 times hotter cuz its fired all 4 times and the life of it would be shortened... not a bad idea, but EEK!! lol

also theres this one guy on here that also does SAIS but, blah! lol... hopefully i'll learn more and will do a write up because having SAIS is more power, IMO because you have the power coming individually to each plug and it will be on the dot, also you could mess with it and have it advanced or retarded or have one or more plug(s) burn more then the other, or others, that way you can get more out of your plugs and get all that juice that your dizzy might be restricting, you guys still following me? good... im going to investigate more into this...

10. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    edit:

ohhh you guys are talking about the crank trigger i mentioned. you must of missed when i said mega squirt. that is on a couple builds at the site i posted a link for. at www.celica-gts.com there is more then a few MS builds, and 1 for sure build up of a dizzy less build, guy got 140hp and 30mpg out of a stock internal 22re and SAIS and fuel control. epic, user was Teranfirbt

no i think my "idea" was unclear.

1 coil per spark plug, each with their own hot wire.

each pack has the ground going back to the dizzy using existing spark plug connections.

ground timing is handled by the dizzy, so 1 wire from each pack back to the dizzy. then take the center connection for the cap that went to the coil and ground it out.

would still only fire once for each compression stroke on the correct plug unless you were out of time.

this is some armchair tuning, but i would think i could get a much hotter spark on a carb'd motor from the junkyard and exsisting parts. but i really dont know how the triggering works with a coil pack.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  11. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4

im not only following you but we are sitting having a beer :drunk:

12. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    yea i got carried away, Sho, but i knew what u were trying to say, uhm, if u think about it, wat would be the voltage coming in to that plug(plug connector on the coil itself, not the spark plug) on the individual coil? 20k-30k from the stock coil? or would we use like a regulator of some sort or wtf?!.. lol....

13. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    i would think it'd be just like a normal coil, 12v with a 30amp fuse. its the out put of the coil thats serious.

im thinking if you have 2 wire coil packs, then the ecu would either control the hot or ground. then switch it based of a cam or crank trigger.

maybe take one of the packs you got, put a spark plug in it, runs some jumper wires to the pack and a ground to the plug and see if it fires off a battery.

if that works, we are freakin geniuses.:verdict_in:

dam im getting excited, gonna go get me some packs soon.

14. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    ok i just skimmed down a wiki post, but instead of just running a hot wire off of the dizzy, wat if we could have like a magnet switch? like an interruptor over the dizzy... remvoing the cap and having magnets where the old contacts of the plug wires were and they could switch voltage signal and telling the coil packs to come on... just by using.... blah blah blah!!!!

i thought of this, this is just a rough sketch:

*black/yellow plug that plugs into the ignitor
    *have that send signal to "magnets"
    *magnets would act as interruptors
    *magnets placed on the side of the conacts of the dizzy cap
    *magnets would send individual voltage to coil packs
    *magnets would act as the " dizzy cap" system
    *having that yellow/black plug that connects to the ignitor plugged directly to the coil packs all the time would make all four packs fire once during each stroke
    *using the dizzy and magnets would make each coil fire ONCE at each striking as the dizzy turns by...

*magnet system i am thinking about is the kind that is used like on the wheel hub speed sensors, those could be rigged or fabbed to fit somewhere on or near the dizzy rotor... that way it can send a magnetic field and BAM! light up that coil!!!

more on this tomorrow!

by the way, this would be for the older trucks with vacuum style advancing, could work with others... not for sure but i am sure it will work with carb style... 86 and older....

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  15. project_DragTruck_v2.0

project_DragTruck_v2.0 Veteran

Has anybody on here used an MSD box on 22r besides me?

I had a 6AL, and Blaster II coil. The dizzy's magnetic pickup tells the MSD box when to fire the coil (which is much hotter than stock, and deletes the ignitor and everything). What you get is a capacitive discharge (full power of the coil) of multiple sparks below 3000 rpm, and a single full power discharge above 3000 rpm. For the amount of trouble your thinking of going to, I'm thinking an MSD setup would be way easier, and cheaper, to achieve similar results.

All you'd need is
    MSD Box (I've used a 6AL, but a 6AL2 is now available with a boatload more features)
    coil (your choice as long as it's HOT, much hotter than stock)
    Wires large enough to handle the power. (I used 9mm)

I got more power, better fuel mileage ( if I kept my foot out of it) and tremendously easier starting in all weather conditions. I just had to bump the key and it's fire right up.

just my .02, though

16. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    why do you need a spark on intake?

17. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    wat do u mean on intake?...

18. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    so yea, i talked with my instructor at UTI,(KEEP YOUR COMMENTS, im in 4 courses and it's actually a good school, if YOU have the desire to LEARN and not sleep and pay attention) I told him if it'd be a good idea to use speed sensors or something similar but he said if it's off by .001" its not gonna work good so i was like f_ck! lol.. so i'd have to be real precise....

19. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    see that why i want to use a dizzy, makes the hard part easy.

F you and your UTI :p

it will serve you better then you know.

20. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    * sigh*
    you need to go so you can actually see wats up, don't just listen to what other folk say...
    i know this one guy, names Cesar, he's working at tommie vaughn ford in houston tx
    nikka took automotive in uti back in '96 and said within 3 years he was makin 120k, hustlin on them cars, his car proves it!

but nowadays, its tough, so... yea... still 50k + or - aint bad....