Stalling issues 1977 20r

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 77bluyota, Feb 10, 2021.

1. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    1977 Toyota RN23 Shortbed
    Reaching out to see if anyone has experienced this, thank you in advance for any help here. :)

So the story, I bought the truck and it was running fine until one day it started to die while idling warm or cold. I was about 15 miles from home and it flat out died on the way home. Fortunately my brother had his truck and was a few minutes away. I thought maybe it ran out of gas so I had him tow me to a gas station to fill up. Tried to start it, nothing.. so I push it to a parking space and put the pump straight to the battery and the pump is flat dead. I get a new pump at the nearest auto parts store and put it in and dive it home. (this is during the hottest part of summer) a month goes by and I hardly drive it next time I go to drive it, it keeps dying going down hill every time (in and out of gear) and often on flat ground taking it out of gear. I am thinking I have a vacuum problem and did some stuff to deal with that (check build thread for more info). I have verified now that the common vacuum issues have been dealt with, I replaced the plugs and rebuilt the carb. It now idles much better and only dies on the steepest of downhills, which I have both getting into and out of my neighborhood.

I have not tried adjusting the float yet and think that is a possibility. Also I am not sold that the fuel pump is the right one for the job. It supposedly is the right PSI but it was the only one they had and I was short of time and the car was parked in a sketch area so I wanted to get it home. For any curious Minds its the Mr Gasket 42s 2-3.5 psi sold at autozone. In the long run I would like to get a nicer pump and a regulator to go with the Weber 32/36 I have in there.

So after my long ramble any thoughts?

2. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Oh I also replaced the fuel filter with the cheapo that came with the pump. soo yeah..

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Have you cleaned the tank out? Maybe something got caught in the fuel pickup

4. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Nope sure haven't but I wouldn't be surprised as the carb had all kinds of crud in there when I took it apart the other day. Probably something to do either way as I am certain its the original tank and its probably rusty as all get out.

5. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    So now it only dies on an incline? Fuel pickup sounds like a good place to start if that is the case.

6. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    yeah in the limited testing I did over lunch that is correct, it only died on the steepest part of the hill as the truck picked up speed. But once on level ground and not moving it idles fine.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Id definitely check the fuel lines, i made sure to clear mine out and clear the in tank pick up. Shit was all clogged up and full of crud

Peter T and 77bluyota like this.
  8. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Does anyone use the intake fuel pump with the weber? I assume mine is either dead or disconnected. Truth be told I haven't looked into that at all. Just wondering if I am going to go through the trouble of dropping the tank and cleaning it out if it would be worth replacing that fuel pump and get rid of the one I put on recently. Thanks again for the helpful replies!

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    When you mentioned it only happened on the steepest of hills made me think you might need to do the hill climb mod.

77bluyota likes this.
  10. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    I've got a weber and I'm pretty sure I just have an external pump but I'm not a 100% sure to be honest.

11. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    ooh whats that?

12. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    It's a quick little mod to help on hills. It's something to do with moving the vent or something. You can find walk-throughs on the 4x4 forums.

77bluyota likes this.
  13. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Found a link to an external thread here

Pearce likes this.
  14. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    The main difference (and I am not sure it matters) is that uphill driving I am fine because I am giving it gas. Its the downhill that is killing me. BUT I could see how a poorly adjusted float like they mentioned could def be a problem too. Seems like the order of things to try in ease and already want to do projects is to.
    • Make sure the float is correct
    • Get a regulator in there and verify the pressure from the pump
    • Get the tank and lines all cleaned out
    I like a good project so this is fitting the bill nicely :) Thank you good folks!

Ivey likes this.
  15. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    I climb pretty steep hill on the regular and I've never had a problem with my weber cutting out.

16. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Good to know! I am leary about the modding of the weber especially since before the fuel pump went out it worked fine on hills in both directions. So I'll keep that in the back pocket as a if all else fails. Anyone put or have plans to put snazzy fuel lines in their engine bay when working on the fuel system?

17. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Definitely good to check the floats. Without a regulator and gauge it's hard to know if your in a safe range. Get one with a return to insure its not creeping up on you when the fuel heats up. To much pressure can absolutely mess up the needle/seat and float level. Personally dealing with this problem after I jacked up my fuel pressure foolishly. Also the fact that giving it gas driving up hill helps makes me think the hills and the Weber is the problem. One of the 4x4 guys tricks if they don't want to do the mod is to do a hand throttle so they can regulator idle without there foot. I've noticed some misbehaving on my old setup when going up a 20% grade or so.

18. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Do you have a regulator you have been happy with? I know they can be hit or miss.

19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
  20. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I'd start with the regulator and fuel pressure gauge if you don't have them with that Weber. My understanding is the Weber only likes a max of 3psi or you'll have issues.
    My house is at the bottom of a decently steep hill and it has no problems with cutting out