SR5 cluster fuel gauge stuck

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by KingBouyah, Jul 19, 2017.

1. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

So I picked up a 4runner cluster from a local yard, but the fuel gauge doesn't move. Is this a common problem? Should the gauge drop down to empty when the key turns off like the base cluster? Just wonder what I should look for at the yard so I don't pick up another busted cluster. I'm assuming that if I find another cluster where the fuel gauge isn't at empty, I should stay away from it.
    Also, instead of buying a new oil pressure sender, it looks like the part that comes up for the 22re is also listed for a bunch of other models, including the 89-91 3vz 4runner so would it be a bad idea to pull one of those from the yard, too? Anyone ever done this? It would be great to spend $3 instead of $50.

2. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

I found a way to test the fuel gauge at the yard, so I picked up another cluster. Now I need to try and get the mileage adjusted from 258K to 212K. I have been searching and it looks like what a lot of people are doing is just swapping the odometers because everyone seems to be referencing this writeup on yotatech:
    https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/sr5-gauge-cluster-swap-how-pics-179106/

That's all fine and dandy, and it looks like rolling the numbers by hand works for them and it's easy to remove, but that's for a cable cluster, mine is electronic and the odometer inside is very different. Rolling the numbers by hand or with something sharp and pointy feels like I'm going to bust a gear. Does anyone have any experience this? I would really like to adjust my odometer, but can't figure it out without breaking it.

3. BatryOpratedBoy

BatryOpratedBoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Brave Little Toaster (Diana) and Salsa Verde (Traction Control)
    From what I've always seen on write ups and stuff is that people adjust the odometer carefully with a dental pick set from harbour freight or so. My fuel guage doesn't move after I turn off my truck so there's that lol.

4. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

Yeah, I found that the SR5 fuel gauge doesn't drop to E like the base fuel gauge when there is no power. Knowing that, I guess there is a possibility that my first cluster was good, but when I tested it, the base cluster read a quarter tank and the SR5 fuel gauge didn't move from half even after a a short drive. There are some solder points on the back of the cluster labeled as + and - right behind the fuel gauge and if 12V is applied across it and there is no signal from the sender, it will slowly drop to E. Hopefully that is a valid test. I haven't put it on my truck yet to be sure, though.
    I might have to go pick up a pick set from harbor freight, but I really don't know if that's going to get the job done. All the write ups I have seen show the cable driven cluster that show the odo as having a tenths digit, the numbers are tight next to each other, and they are mounted to the board with metal brackets. My odo doesn't have a tenths digit, I can see gears between the numbers, and it's all one big unit mounted to the board in plastic. I have tried to roll the gears between numbers either direction with a precision screw driver and they don't want to budge. I may need to practice rolling numbers on my base cluster and apply enough force until it rolls or breaks because the speedo on that is already not working, but I haven't opened it up to see what it looks like.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  5. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

Nevermind, apparently I'm a little girl and turns out I just wasn't trying hard enough. And it didn't break.

But I have an SR5 cluster now and a working speedometer and odometer with correct mileage, Soo...

I would post a picture of the procedure, but I haven't really researched a solid alternative to Photobucket yet.

Anyone looking to do this swap, make sure you pull a pin out of one of the donor vehicle plugs. That way you can pop it into slot 7 on your blue plug, run the wire to the negative post on your igniter and your tach will work. Then you don't have to worry about the ring terminal on the screw labeled with a P. If there is already a pin in slot 7 of your blue plug, then you are fortunate enough to have it prewired for a tach.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    BatryOpratedBoy likes this.
  6. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    If you have a program/app for resizing photos you can upload direct to the forum. I think the max file size is something like 200KB each, but don't quote me on that as it could be smaller. When photobucket acts up, my photos still load fine here, in all their obnoxiously colored glory.

7. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

Thanks, I didn't know that. I can definitely resize in GIMP on my desktop, so that sounds doable.