Short wheel base conversion

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by Liquidhandwash, May 19, 2018.

1. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Hi everyone Im new here and still finding my way around the site. Ive got 1980 lux but its a long wheel base, They never came out in the short wheel base in Australia and they are ugly as sin. Im planing to convert it to a short wheel base, the chassis will have to be cut down 215 mm, which brings me to my question.
    How long is the bed on a short wheel base truck?
    The bed on Mine will have to be cut in two places once in front of the rear wheels to shorten 215mm and once behind the rear wheels. Im not sure how much to take out on the second cut. If you have a short wheel base lux would you mind running a tape measure from the front of bulkhead to the tail gate? Thanks
    On something completely different. I converted the head lights to LED and deleted the indicators in the bumper on my other lux, you can see how i did it here https://www.instructables.com/id/Rat-Rod-Facelift-LED-Headlights/ Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 8.49.25 am.png Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 12.33.13 pm.png

2. The Count

The Count Newbie

I like the long wheel base, I would keep it :)

Perkolator and BeardNomad like this.
  3. Liquidhandwash

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Im Not cutting up the red hilux, that's just a photo Ive found, My new ride is trapped at the back of a wreckers and the owner said it might take him a couple of weeks to dig it out. it missing the doors, front bumper, ignition lock and carburetor so it is going to be a bit of a project. Ive already got a long wheel base hilux, the white one.

4. Hands_On_Henry

Hands_On_Henry Member

Truck:
    1985 22R/4spd
    I went out and checked mine (maybe what you're looking for)
    From front edge of bulkhead to backside of taillight 198cm
    From front edge of bulkhead to wheel well opening (along rocker panel) 46.3cm
    From backside of wheel well opening to outside of "roll pan" 66cm

Sounds like a great project! Good Luck!

5. Liquidhandwash

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Thanks for the info, I pick up the truck in a couple of weeks, so Ill let you know how it goes.