Shifter Insulator Boots

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Roland Deschain, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Enthusiast

So drove the truck today for the first time since having the cab sprayed, new door seals, installing the new Energy Suspension body mounts, Sky Off-road 1” body lift and the sound deadening in the doors and the back of the cab and the bed installed. First of all truck is much quieter and feels much more solid. The issue I’m having is that it has a tendency to come out of 2nd gear and neutral can be a little difficult to find. As soon as I get it back from having the bed sprayed I intend to replace the shifter bushings but prior to the body lift it never did this. Sky Off-road says in their body lift instructions that shifter clearance can be affected and that some trucks have multiple insulator boots and that removing all but one generally allows full use of shifters. Haven’t had it apart yet but is this referring to additional boots under the shift boot? Unclear as to what they are calling an insulator. 16DDA6F8-8767-4B91-AA05-68A65FB296DD.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Alex88 likes this.
  2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Yeah technically there’s three boots - a small rubber one on the transmission to seal out debris, then the rubber one on the metal plate that seals the cab, then the decorative boot you see above the upholstery.
    I have heard when you body lift and don’t raise/lift the shifter with a short throw kit(?), you can get some binding on things down there. Should be able to find lots of info on this some place perhaps Yotatech

Roland Deschain likes this.
  3. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Yea your stick might be hitting the body down by second gear range..

Roland Deschain likes this.
  4. Roland Deschain

So did the shifter bushing replacement today. The bushings didn’t look as bad as some examples I’ve seen but definitely worn out. The upper portion of the bushing that sets in the shifter housing was missing but the lower piece was still there. The nylon bushing on the end of the shifter was still there but the bottom was worn completely through and was metal to metal at the shifter ball. Doesn’t appear to have ever been serviced. 38B0D02C-A92E-47C7-B3F5-8325E9EEEC26.jpeg

Alex88 likes this.
  5. Roland Deschain

So here are the different boots / insulators I removed while doing the shifter bushing change. I left the one right under the exterior shift boot out. Haven’t driven it yet but I think this will take care of the shifter slop and the popping out of gear with the body lift issue. BB47789E-2696-497F-BFBE-0F338AB5E9EF.jpeg 8FADB545-65D8-4308-B44E-C8EEE7F84AE9.jpeg

Alex88 and Perkolator like this.
  6. Alex88

Alex88 Newbie

Truck:
    1992 2wd 22re
    I just sold my 89 a few days ago but i had a 3 inch body lift and flipping the 2nd boot upside down solved my issue with the shifter popping out of 2nd and 4th. When the body lift is added it changes the shifter angle slightly in the cab. The farther up you go the farther back the shifter gets. There used to be a place that sold extensions you could cut your shifter and weld in but luckily flipping the boot worked for me. Id post a pic but the truck is gone already.