Setting The Time

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by jrealmuto1, Sep 8, 2010.

1. jrealmuto1

jrealmuto1 Member

Truck:
    1986 Yota 2wd
    For those who have asked and has no clue about setting time after a chain replacement or whatever they did. It's all trial and error. Iv read alot of setting the time and people still seem confused about it. I live in Mississippi and i have a 22re converted to 22r.

The easy way to do this! :meemee:

Pull out your # 1 Spark Plug. *Easy!!*
    Put your finger on the hole. *REALLY EASY*

Now theres two ways to do this. Have someone tap your ignition until a pop of air comes out your finger. ORRRR turn the crank with a #19 socket while its in Neutral.

The notch on your harmonic balancer should be lined up with 0 if its carbed. Or 5 if its EFI. Sometimes it'll feel easy to move the crank when its in that area.

Ok. Leave that alone. Pull out your Distributor.
    You can pull off the cap to do this or look at the BIGGER notch on the gear.
    Line up the hole where the set screw/bolt goes into the head. Kinda get it all even. Now the rotor button should be pointing at 12 oclock. Line it up and carefully slide it back in. Put your bolt back in but leave it where you can turn the distributor.
    Plug your vac adavance lines back up. :funnyup:

CRANK IT. That means turn the key. Then you adjust the distributor to where you want it. It it pops or back fires while the cranking process than you didnt put the #1 cyl up. You 180 out. So TRY TRY AGAIN. Also check for ANY vac. leaks. Thatll throw you all around the world. :runaway:

I have my timing sitting at 12 on the crank at idle. When gased on it goes to 0. I have plenty of tourqe and hp all through the gears. I hope this helps the ones who have never messed with any of this befor. LIKE ME. I learned on my own. :waytogo: