Rusted steering box frame repair

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Suprafreak13, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Suprafreak13

Suprafreak13 Member

I bought my 94 shorty in July last year, I looked it over for the usual rust rot that I am aware of on these trucks, didn't see anything bad, just surface rust around the edges I wasn't worried about.

Lately my steering has been feeling a little funny, kind vague and things felt like they were shifting in turns...

I did some investigation while changing my oil and happened upon a decent sized hole in my frame between the steering box mounting bolts.

[​IMG]

Then I noticed some cracks on the outside of the frame near the rear steering box mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had someone turn the steering while I watched the box, it moved a little, then when it reached the stops the frame would get all twisted out of shape. I'm sure while yanking the truck through turns it probably is moving all over.

So I started taking off the box and things.. got stuck when the strut bar bracket bolts that go up into the frame just spun. The captive nuts inside the frame had rusted off the frame and were spinning....

I got the box of and had a closer look. You can see with it off how far the crack goes underneath that rear mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I cut out most of the bad stuff on the outside, then I was able to use vice grips to hold the nuts in the frame so I could remove the strut bar bracket.

[​IMG]

Look what I found!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Suprafreak13

Suprafreak13 Member

I took a break for lunch, and saw this awesome Toyota at the grocery store. Dually flat bed with a hoist! awesome

[​IMG]

Back on the job, I cut out the inside of the frame following the shape of the upper box mount bracket that's welded on the frame. That way I can weld to the weld of that bracket. I will need to use the upper bracket to locate the steering box so I can drill the holes through the outside of the frame.

Then I cleaned it all up with a wire wheel... Searching for plate material now. I will patch the outside, then the inside reusing the sleeves that go through the frame. I'll update it more tomorrow night with whatever progress I make during the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SloPoke

SloPoke Member

Truck:
    93 standard cab dx
    Good catch. Nice work so far. Should be good to go when it's re-plated. There was quite a bit of rust debris inside that rail! I've done this same fix a few times and I phawking hate drilling them holes again. Hope it goes easy for ya!

4. Suprafreak13

Suprafreak13 Member

I put the hammer down today and got it finished. Made the plates out of 3/16". Welded the left side in first. Then hung the box off the two bolt locations I did have to drill the third. I had to weld some steel onto new nuts and weld the steel to the frame to make new captive nuts for the strut bar bolts. Then I bolted the sleeves into place and welded them to the inside of the frame. Used them to cut holes in the inside piece. Paint

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Kirk

Kirk Member

Hey bro I had that same problem with my truck it's been In the family for years and my uncle fixed that part I think twice then I bought it from him and the I had to get it fixed as well if it breaks again I'm gonna have to do it like u did cut and plate