Running rough

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Chayse, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Chayse

Chayse Newbie

Hey guys new to the group and to gas motors in general owned mostly diesels and the gas vehicles I’ve owned have ran good I’m not oblivious just need help lol but I just picked up a truck guy said it was an 81 motor so it’s a 22r with efi it’s running really rich and lopy at idle runs okay when you get on it, noticed that he didn’t hook up an o2 sensor there’s no wires for it that I can tell could that be why it’s running poor and if so how do I go about hooking an o2 up also have the old carb setup I’m not opposed to putting back on it I’ve checked to make sure the filter was clean tried blocking off the iac to test if that was giving me issues no change cleaned all the spark plugs which were equally nasty did the test where I unplugged each plug one at a time 1-3 made little change 4 made a huge difference don’t have a compression tester but feels like it has decent power for a 4 cylinder got me down the road fine at 55 also has something missing on the drivers side of the throttle shaft maybe tps don’t know if that would make it run Rich or if it needs it being manual

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  2. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    If it has a carb then, if I'm not mistaken, the O2 sensor just controls the exhaust port air injection system and won't affect fuel mixtures. IIRC, the O2 sensor was mainly to protect the cat con from overheating.

3. Chayse

Chayse Newbie

The truck is currently efi have a carb to swap back if need be