rear suspension? air shocks?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Houa Thao, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Houa Thao

Houa Thao Enthusiast

Truck:
    91extracab
    Okay, before I start spending I need as much advice from all the expert here. My ride is 2" on front with drop arm, and 2.5 blockd on the rear with all the stock leafs with drop shocks or toxic shocks (not sure which). I need the rear to be able to support weight so it wouldn't bottom. I was thinking putting stock shocks back on to help since the drop shocks are 2" shorter and not sure if they are design to handle weight. Don't want to add another leaf since it will ride harder and stiffer. I was thinking of air shocks so that I can adjust height when needed. Any advice is appreciate!!

2. ToxicToyz

ToxicToyz Addict

Truck:
    88 longbed
    Use all stock leafs and run stiffer shocks

3. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Well, in my experience, the Toxic shock I had were the exact same length as the stock shocks. The length of the shock doesn't matter as long as they aren't bottoming or topping out. The Toxic or drop shocks are just a stiffer valving reacting with more resistance to fast motion.

How close is the axle to the bump stops? Are they trimmed or removed?

Air shocks would help in that they are ajustable, but you may not be able to find them with the stiffer valving.

The only other ways to stop from bottoming out would be go to a higher spring rate, or C-notch the frame.

4. Hip001

Hip001 Newbie

Truck:
    1993 xcab auto 240k miles
    I'm in the same boat. I've picked up a rust free 93 xtra cab that I want to lower, but will need more weight capacity in the rear, if possible, to use it for any work.

5. kamesama980

kamesama980 Addict

Truck:
    91 Base
    The rear shocks mount to the leaves. stock leaves w/ stock shock mount=stock shock length. I love my air shocks...leave about 5-10 psi in there when the trucks empty, air it up when I load it up. They ride at least as well as any other OE fitment shock. No experience with the toxics.

I also have monroe reflex monotubes in front (just about the best kind without going to specialty companies like toxic. Oh you noticed they don't make those for toyotas? try '90 checy c1500 (2wd). like 1/2" shorter and have to dremel the bottom mounting holes 1/16 each but WAY stiffer (better control with heavy loads) and WAY smoother (don't beat the crap out of you when empty) than anything within $100 cause they're $35/ea from rockauto.

6. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Still looking for air shocks Houa Thao?

7. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast

I realize no where did it say they would, but in case anyone is searching like I was, these did not work for my 83. The body was too wide to fit up through the lower control arm (and by more than just a little).