Radiator- Rust Bits - Flush w/ CLR?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Busted Knuckles, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

First, this isn't a radiator in a Toyota. BUt it's a question that is probably applicable to any radiator...And I have complete respect for the thoughts,experiences, and perspectives here. That's why I'm posting the question.

A old radiator HAD water in it, but it appears to have evaporated. Now there are bits of rust inside the neck of the radiator. I wiped out a sample. (pic)

I suspect there is more rust in the radiator and probably in the engine block. So before I start the engine and run a chemical flush through the system, this is what I thought of doing....

A) Disconnect both upper and lower radiator hoses.
    B) Put garden hose in the upper and turn on.
    C) After that initial flush, clog both upper and lower radiator hoses with rags.
    D) Pour in CLR and hot water.
    E) Let set overnight.
    F) Flush out upper to lower again.

Will this remove any and all build up in the radiator?

After this flush, I'll reconnect the radiator hoses ad run a chemical flush through the system, like Prestone Super Three Day Flush or ?????

Opinions... TIA

Attached Files:

2. jjmartinez1987

jjmartinez1987 Member

Truck:
    1995 Pickup
    If I were you I would just save some money and get new hoses and radiator if possible. Then I would do a full coolant flush with the new radiator and call it done. reasons?? :1. If your radiator is rusting due to using water then chances are eventually it will fail plus those rust particles will get in the engine block and if anything just build up in the coolant paths and cause issues. 2. If i was a betting man (which I am not) I would say chances are any water in the block will have evaporated during operation at temperature but any small rust particles can easily be flushed out with some new coolant after you've swapped the radiator and hoses. 3. If the engine block does happen to have more rust than suspected well its kind of late to do anything about that anyway you might as well just try and run it the way it is and make sure water never sees the inside of that engine ever again. That's how I would go about it.