Question on 1983 late model

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 83Single757, Jun 6, 2020.

1. 83Single757

83Single757 Newbie

Hey guys,

So i recently picked up an '83 single cab 2wd "late model" supposedly when they changed the body style to the 84-88, Now on my door jam, it says nov 83, title says 84, I am the second owner of the truck, as the original owner front end wrecked it, i pulled most of it out, and its definitely driveable.

My original plan was to buy it for the 22re with 140k due to my 87 4x4 having a water pump bolt break and extraction didnt go well. Well since the truck runs and drives so good, i decided to fix it even more and replace the fender apron etc, then i want to go pretty low with it.

Now enough with my banter and on to the question, Being that it is the late model 83, does that mean the suspension was also changed with the body style changes? because i've heard on 83's you need to get 84-88 control arms, hubs etc to lower it correctly. But if i dont need to change anything i am just going to loosen torsion bars until i get drop spindles etc

Any insight would be helpful as i cant seem to find much about it.

EDIT

i realized this was the build forum i apologize in advanced

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  2. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    If you're in the US, the designated "model year" may not be the same as the actual "build year". Model years usually start around Sept/Oct of the previous year. This weird timing might have come about because US manufacturers shut down their factories every summer (perhaps to coincide with Summer vacation?) to retool them and the earliest they could start selling again was in Sept/Oct.

Add to that, it takes a few months for cars to get to the US from Japan. So the first MY 1984 trucks were probably built around July 1983. Your MY 1984 truck probably was first sold in January 1984 after being built in November 1983.

However, there are times when the manufacturers try to get a jump on the market and come out with "late" models. A perfect example is the "1970-1/2" Camaro. Chevy was late getting it to market and instead of waiting, decided to sell it "early" as a 1970-1/2 instead of as a 1971.

That is why, if you're not sure, it might be easier to discuss parts by the truck's model number which starts with RNxx if your not sure what "year" truck yours is.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  3. 83Single757

83Single757 Newbie

I am a bit confused by your reply, i wasnt inquiring about the model years etc, i was asking if the control arms etc were changed in the year 84 when they made the cosmetic changes

4. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    He was referring to the model number being a better indicator than model year. On the plaque on the inside of your engine bay back on the firewall there are a bunch of numbers and letters, one is your model number. That number should start with RN.

Posting up some pics may help show us what you're working with as well.

MrDinkleman likes this.
  5. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Sorry. Got a bit focused on your first question about the date on the door jamb vs. the date on the title. Your truck is an 84, in the US so you just need to look for parts for an 84. The changes weren't just cosmetic. It may or may not be a completely new frame and suspension as well.

As Justin said, post a picture if you're not sure.

6. 83Single757

83Single757 Newbie

ahh my apologies, the model is RN50