Pulling the engine, or dropping the transmission?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Henry, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

Trying to diagnose a vibration issue I'm having and it looks like I may need to inspect the flywheel/clutch. Maybe it's just me but it's a pain in the ass to get the engine/transmission combo in and out of this chassis. If I can I'd rather not go through the trouble of pulling and reinstalling them as a pair.

I don't have a transmission jack and I had a hell of a time swapping in the W50 without an extra set of hands. Is it possible to pull the engine and leave the transmission in, or am I just making it harder on myself when I need to reinstall it?

2. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    I would pull them separately but re-install them bolted together as a unit.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Ive pulled my engine and trans out twice as unit by myself. And reinstalled the engine and trans separate each time(with help) Just seemed easier

4. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

When you reinstalled it separate did you install the trans after installing the engine?

5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Pulled and installed as one on mine. You got to have a crazy angle. I had to put all my weight on the back of the motor to do it.

6. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

I had to do the same. Super sketchy and I swore I'd never do that again. Haha

7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    It's not that bad. Way quicker then messing with pulling everything part under the rig. The only thing I would do differently is get a leveler.

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Ye
    Yes. Engine first then trans. Honestly wasnt that bad. All i did was support the engine with the hoist, and use a floorjack and man power to get the trans in.

i do agree tho, taking it out or going back in you will need to basically have the engine/trans vertical

9. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    I've always taken them out together and installed them back in together, the only time I separated both units were on 4x4 applications mainly 4runners. You do need a load leveler and a decent hoist. One trick I learned is removing the front wheels in order to drop the cab/body for better clearance, that way you don't have to go vertical! I know I don't need to mention the time saved by R and R them together. Only other time I've taken them out one by one is when the vehicle comes with a sub frame, I like to leave the engine on it and drop everything together without transmission, but that's not the case for our trucks..

fred heath and jetas like this.
  10. Toyodandy

Toyodandy Newbie

Truck:
    1981 Longbed
    I’d just leave trans in. That’s what i did, ran a stick of 1/2” emt under the trans and on the frame to support the tranny whilst unbolted.