power windows and locks swap

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by JOE_1985, Dec 14, 2009.

1. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    has anyone converted a manual door setup to a power one?

im possibly getting a 86.5 sr5 turbo 4 runner for parts and im going to use as much of the interior as possible on my 87

2. Nook

Nook Addict

I built and installed power windows in both my rigs using parts and pieces from a Toyota Supra, but those are both mid 70's trucks, I would think swapping into a same generation would be fairly simple, or at least simplier than it was on mine :D

3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Yes on my 88 2wd , used doors from 84-88 4 Runner, & all the relays + the in cab fuse panel( as two circuit breakers for windows & locks):cool:

4. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    truck action , any details u wanna give me?

5. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Use all the relays from the donner truck & get the Electrical Wiring Diagram book from Toyota,around $30, trucks & 4-runners ,same year!
    It will will a lot!!:cool:

6. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    if you get it send me a pm I need some parts for my runner...........

7. drayday55

drayday55 Newbie

i just did this on my 85 4x4,
    the best way is to get complete doors.
    i swapped guts and it was easy just took time. i had smokers window and early door so there was a little moding to do. i went to solid glass no smoker window,
    first there is a brace between the 2 door halves right where the smokers window comes out. hack saw that out.
    second. my 85 doors did not have the exact same stamping that the 88 delux door had.
    for the door pull bracket i had to eyeball the location and make my own holes, this was cake too. no problem, just mesure.

the regulator and motor was a straight swap, just clean, wire brush and lube the regulator.
    the window channel rubber. soak this in armorall so the window slides good.
    i hard wired the windows so i could use them without the key- just use 12v constant fused power- i used my amp power for this.
    follow the field service manual and power both switches harness wire is blue wire with red stripe.
    ground only goes to the driver side switch, white with black stripe wire on harness,

connect from the driver side to passenger side harness blue with black and blue with white.

as for the holes in the door to run power go to the junk yard and get the rubber gromets from a doner truck- trust me it makes it clean.
    take off the doors make sure you mark them.
    the doors have 2 dots for drill guides(use the lower dot and drill it out with a 1 inch hole saw.
    the body has a flat spot ready for a hole but no dot right under the top hinge. use a 1 3/16 hole saw! make sure the gromets have 2 sizes. dont ask how i know!
    look at the junk yard truck for references.

pm me if you get lost.

by the way im new to the site HI. lookin for ideas on cup holders lol!

8. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    thats just the details i needed thanks