Parking Brake needed - Compatibility question

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by THorn, Nov 24, 2020.

1. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Hey Friends,

A pending project is to find and install a parking brake on my 74 hilux. I have a couple questions to toss out:

-Does anyone know if I need one specific to this generation or would a later version be easy to adapt?

-I suspect it was removed when the engine was swapped to a 5vz-fe. I'm worried that the new engine setup might obstruct the original parking brake, which might be why it wasn't installed after. I'm looking at putting one elsewhere if the stock format no longer fits. Suggestions about placing one on the floor?

2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    If the firewall was cut it may of been removed. You should see a cable guild on the firewall. From there it would cross over the trans and go to a pivot point on the transmission cross member.

3. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    I see the hole in the firewall where it used to be. I also see scorch marks from a cutting torch at the lower corners of the opening. Maybe that's where the cable guide was? I haven't seen how the stock part looks, so I'm unclear about mounting it. I don't believe the firewall has been altered much, but those cuts worry me. I'd love to see the original installation so that I can tell what's different here. That's why I was speculating about mounting it elsewhere. I'll post some photos soon for clarity.

4. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Perkolator likes this.
  5. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    There is a after market company that makes a electric parking brake ,do a goggle search

Perkolator likes this.
  6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I have most of the parking brake components that i was getting together to get my parking brake back.

THorn likes this.
  7. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    I have been legitimately considering the above suggestions. Electronic e brake systems are prohibitively expensive, although pretty cool. The rat rod floor unit is still in the running, for it’s simplicity, but I’m going to hold out as long as I can before I cut anything.

I really like the stock style under dash format, for personal nostalgia if nothing else. As such, I’d definitely be interested in reciprocating for anything you have to offer, especially the firewall cable guide. I’m attaching some photos of the firewall. Turns out I was confused by the fact that the throttle cable is now running through the opening for the parking brake and the hole below is cut, so if I can free up the correct spot, I can put the brake through where it belongs. A lot of the salvage options are not in good enough shape for the prices asked on eBay so I’m thinking about alternative solutions. Looks like I could adapt this ford repro thing pretty easily, and find decent cable options to bridge to the equalizer yoke:
    upload_2020-12-4_4-15-10.jpeg 529BC65E-D248-42A4-B65C-206C6B99EE0F.jpeg ADD10AFA-3BFA-49E0-9357-E951640F5485.jpeg
    upload_2020-12-4_4-15-10.jpeg

8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    That looks like the spot only problem is someone ran a wire through the hole. Might be best to reroute it though a hole with a grommet anyway. I feel like most toyotas that used that style are basically the same parts. I can take a pic of the cable guild that you're missing tomorrow.

9. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Thanks!!! I've confirmed a lot of details through online research, but have yet to see what it looks like installed, outside of the technical diagram.

That wire is the throttle cable. I can't guess why it's going through that hole and not another. I think I can reroute it pretty easily, and with a proper grommet. The engine and trans swap was done by the PO, and while overall, it's fairly competent, especially the frame mounting points and computer(!&^$#$#$&^%&!!), a lot of little details were left unsolved, like for instance the parking brake! Also, there's no room alongside the modern transmission to connect the backup light switch, or the neutral safety switch either (?!?!?), so I'm having to do a lot of finicky customization. For now, I'm relying on the clutch start switch alone to keep it from starting in gear, and a manual switch on the dash panel to turn the reverse lights on and off. DERRR...

I have verified that 73-83 all have the same bolt pattern for the handle assembly and the roller bracket, so no worries there. The roller bracket and cables, believe it or not, are still available through a couple Toyota parts distributors, but probably only because they're compatible with so many later models.

10. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    One thing I'm still not sure about is the lever assembly that formerly mounted on the transmission bridge. It's supposed to link the front cable to the other cable fitting that connects to the equalizer. That lever went away when the new trans mounts were installed, and I'm unclear how necessary it is. I can rig a bracket for the end of the housing, but does it rely on the lever for the correct pull ratio? If I just run the cable directly to an equalizer yoke, will it feel right, or will it take more force to engage it? I might just have to experiment with different hardware down there.

11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I would say the lever definitely helps with the pull. You probably will have to give it your all with two hands for a chance to hold on a hill. And that's when the cable breaks at the handle. Hopefully while you're pulling and not when you walk away.

12. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Yeah, I could have thought about that for half a minute. I’ll need to rig up something that can achieve roughly the correct pull ratio between the oem front cable assembly and the equalizer. The way the rear cables are now, I can just use a traditional style yoke type equalizer with an adjustment rod. If I can find a lever and rod that are simple enough, I can experiment with drilling for the rod in different spots until I get it fine tuned. I guess I’ll have to make a spot to hook a spring onto as well. Heh, so many things that have to come along with an engine swap!

13. redman

redman Enthusiast

"so many things that have to come along with an engine swap!"

I think the swap is the easy part, it's all the bracketry for the small stuff that no longer fits or wasn't there before that takes a lot of time.