Oil pan gasket replace

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Avery Rucker, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    Hey everyone,

I want to replace my oil pan gasket on my 92 Toyota pickup but wanted to know if there was anything special I need to know believe I get into it since it is my DD. It looks like I can reach all the bolts without an issue however I'm not sure if it will fit coming out as is. I saw in other posts people talking about dropping suspension parts to get clearance but that was for a different generation and I'd rather avoid messing with stuff I don't need to.

Thanks for your input

2. KERTWOOD

KERTWOOD Enthusiast

Truck:
    92 Street Truck

Remove drag link (steering part) and the frame cross member under the oil pan and it (oil pan) pretty much drops out. Surgically clean pan/block and use a nice bead of Permatex the Right Stuff Gasket Maker when going back together. Torque bolts according to FSM.

3. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    Got those torque specs handy? And I've never heard of a drag link before so thanks for bringing that up. I'll look up the part and see if I can identify it under the truck.

4. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Get a Haynes manual....

5. jjmartinez1987

jjmartinez1987 Member

Truck:
    1995 Pickup
    i did mine just by removing the crossmember and left the sway bar in place. not much to worry about with a 22re oil pan most of the engine is just bubblegum and duct tape. i used gray permatex and just hand torqued. just make sure you scrape the old gasket off real good. all data shows 9ft pounds

6. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to go tackle this job now. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

7. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    So....... After taking off the cross member and all the bolts to the pan I tried to wiggle it in 10 different ways with no avail. I looked up what the drag link is and could clearly see that it was the cause of my frustrations. I wanted to remove as few bolts as possible to try and avoid messing up my alignment. Anyway, I took out the cotter pins and Castle nut on the two most center bolts but couldn't get the bolts to budge out of the socket. Any tips/advice is helpful.

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    You can try hitting the top and bottom of the draglink where the inner tie rod goes into it. Or you can use a removal tool(not the fork type)

9. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    Glad you said not the fork type since I was going to get one of those in about an hour. What tool should I use instead if the mallet doesn't work?

10. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    sounds like you need the tie rod puller tool. Rent the full kit at AutoZone or go to Harbor Freight and buy the one they carry and put it in your toolbox. There are at least 2 sizes of these, but I believe the HF one is the right size for only like $15 - Take measurements before buying it to make sure. I know I have two, one is for BJ/tie rods, the other is larger size for pitman arm.
    Link: Harbor Freight tie rod puller

11. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    Thanks for all the help/advice everyone. It took me longer than expected but I got the job done. I was able to avoid using any type of puller by disconnecting the drag link from the frame like mentioned by KERTWOOD originally. I was a little confused when I originally read it but after not getting the drag link to budge I traced the entire thing up to the frame and got it to drop that way. Wish I would have understood right away. Anyway, Thanks again everyone for coming in clutch like always. :waytogo:

KERTWOOD likes this.