Official: Toyota Hilux pickup gets fresh skin, more power for 2012

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by NewsBot, Jul 13, 2011.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Grand Toyotaholic

Filed under: Truck, Work, Toyota, Diesel

[​IMG]
    2012 Toyota Hilux - Click above for high-res image gallery

When we think of Toyota icons, we tend to think of vehicles like the Prius, Land Cruiser, or perhaps the Corolla, the world's best-selling nameplate. But entire towns have been built and many wars have been fought on the back of Toyota's Hilux pickup. Celebrated the world over for its legendary ruggedness and anvil-like reliability, it's been the workhorse of choice everywhere from Africa to Antarctica for decades. In other words, the debut of a new Hilux qualifies as a genuinely important development in global transportation.

And while this isn't an all-new model, there are a raft of changes worth noting for the new year. Starting with the obvious, the 2012 Hilux receives a completely new front clip, including new fenders headlights, bumper, hood, and three-bar grille. Additional changes include updated rear fenders, as well as new mirrors and alloy wheel designs.

Inside, the changes are mostly minor, though there's a new upper dashboard piece and an available 6.1-inch touchscreen multimedia system. Beyond that, Toyota cites "greater colour consistency throughout" and some silver trim bits as key changes.

Underhood, the diesel-powered two-wheel-drive Hilux 2.5 D-4D gets a new variable nozzle turbo to boost power to 144 horses (+24) and 253 pound-feet of torque, all while lowering fuel consumption.

Overall, the Hilux is available in three bodystyles with two engines and transmissions, along with two- or four-wheel drive. Check out our high-res gallery below and learn more in the official press release after the jump.Continue reading Toyota Hilux pickup gets fresh skin, more power for 2012

Toyota Hilux pickup gets fresh skin, more power for 2012 originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 13 Jul 2011 13:02:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Read More...

2. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    i want one, im gonna drive 20 minutes south and buy one in mexico since they dont sell em here in teh stated

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  3. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    hopefully they keep the tacoma looking like a truck instead of a minivan like that hilux

4. andysmiley17

andysmiley17 Veteran

Truck:
    82 Diesel
    if lexus built a truck, this is what it would look like

5. DVSLUX

DVSLUX Member

Truck:
    88 TOYOTA HILUX
    I want one, Im sure once Im finished with it she will look the part

6. dyrti

dyrti Veteran

Truck:
    91 pickup layin' frame, and a 99 mazda b2500 (not a toyota)
    it'd look much better if they dropped the running boards, slammed the frame and body to the earth, stacked a nice set of black 22s under it, and did a really clean looking wild graphic scheme all old skool on it...... i'm just sayin.

7. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    you should see those hilux utes down under, they freaking USE those things

8. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    Not liking it at all. They need to go back to the square box look, They keep going rounder and rounder. I know its better gas millage but i hate it.

9. nvrenufedge

nvrenufedge Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bagged '93 std cab
    I was kinda thinkin the same thing. Everything is getting to luxury looking. What happened the hard working, rugged looking trucks.