odometer issue question

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by spanks_4, Nov 22, 2012.

1. spanks_4

spanks_4 Enthusiast

When you change tire sizes it throws the odometer off. Is their a way to fix this issue with a newer odometer or something?

I would like to replace all of my gauges some day and just wondering what all would be involved in the process since the new gauge types are digital setups instead of cables..

2. josealex1636

josealex1636 Veteran

Truck:
    83 Toyota Pickup
    If im not mistaking I think you would need to change the speed sensor and the gear inside the trans if your sensor is connected to your trans output shaft in the extension housing correct me if Im wrong :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  3. josealex1636

josealex1636 Veteran

Truck:
    83 Toyota Pickup
    Also my 17s threw my speedometer off by 5mph over

4. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Yes different tire sizes thro your odometer off but the mileage but its not a vast difference to we're u loose leaps and bounds of exact mileage . It does thro the speedo of course ..

As far as gauges and switching to electric speedos and all after market gauges such as autometer it gets expensive real quick electric gauges and there electric sending units are pricy if u were gonna do tach speedo water and fuel it's expensive wanted to do this for a while but held off

5. spanks_4

spanks_4 Enthusiast

It's the tire size that makes the speedometer off not the rim size, but yes the cable is hooked to the side of the trans.

6. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    on the cable speedo there an adjustment but i thinkit the older gen ones cause i just looked at a 89 one

electric there's nothing you will have change the spur gear far as I know of

7. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    how would you adjust it? i have a cluster from an automatic as the one mine came with broke and its way off. says im doing 50mph when im crusing at about 35. running 195/40/15 tires.