Non-Owner Looking For Advice

Discussion in '1976-1983 Pickup Discussion' started by ModestMussorgsky, Dec 5, 2021.

1. ModestMussorgsky

ModestMussorgsky Newbie

Hello all. After some deep research for a small, fuel efficient, durable, carbureted pickup truck, I found my way to the late 70s early 80s Toyota pickup.

After a few weeks searching within 500 miles of Chicago, I'm having a hard time finding any that are well priced. Everything in half decent condition appears to be about $10k. And the only places I'm finding them are on Facebook Marketplace. Is this typical?

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Used vehicle market is bonkers in general right now. However here on the W coast I still see decent Toyota pickups under $5k whenever I look. I’ve always preferred Craigslist for some reason but I believe these days the vehicle listing fees people have deterred people. I don’t really do the Facespace thing but I hear that’s where a lot of stuff gets sold nowadays.

3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Probably going to take a while to find one at a decent price. 5k is about what you would pay for a nearly perfect one a couple years ago. 10k for a highly modified one that is well done here on the west coast. The modified market dosnt have to many people trying to get crazy numbers but the nearly stock crowd is right now. Facebook is the new Craigslist. Every now and again offer up will have something. The last car I bought I saw on Facebook first then the seller delisted it and relisted on offer up.

4. ModestMussorgsky

ModestMussorgsky Newbie

THanks for the insights. Still no luck on my end. Crazy what I'm seeing

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Just keep searching. Search by model and chassis code.

6. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    I'll add that you probably won't find one in your area due to the road salt. You might get lucky but honestly your best bet is to look for one of the West coast and either pick it up yourself (roadtrip!) or have it shipped which would probably add another 2K or so to the price. Good luck!

Bear and fred heath like this.
  7. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    I agree with Ivey. Even trucks from states with minimal snow have rust issues. The early frames were made of light gage metal and prone to rusting.
    Don’t buy anything online without physically doing a rust check. Sellers want to sell.
    Best area to look is southern states. Texas, New Mexico, any dry state.

Bear likes this.
  8. Bear

Bear Newbie

Agree 1000% with Ivey & Fred here.
    It is worth the extra effort (& the shipping expense OR time to go & get & drive/transport to your home state) to get a solid & RUST FREE truck from a DRY state. AZ, NM, TX, NV, CA, etc.
    Craigslist, eBay, Bring-A-Trailer, Barn Finds, this forum, other owner forums, etc.
    GOOD LUCK with your hunt!!