No flashers or hazards

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Perkolator, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Looking for help figuring out why my flashers and hazards don't work. I would love to find a wiring diagram if possible too. I'm not even sure where to start testing for power - do I start in steering column switch? Relay? Fuse panel?

My headlights, high beams, markers and brake lights all function - so I guess every bulb technically has power. I'm not sure how flashers and hazards integrate in the system but I don't have either working. The flasher relay behind radio wasn't hooked up, so I plugged it back in when I pulled my radio. Today I was poking around and found the flasher switch only had the upper 2-wire plug connected and the big lower connector was unplugged, so I plugged it in. Still not working.

I did find two things in dash that I don't know what they are. One is this black box that was under the dash - a relay of some sort? Has no markings and was bolted left of steering column and is kinda the only protruding object under the dash. Kinda weird placement IMO (detached and not where installed in my pic) any clues to what it is?
    [​IMG]

Also found one connector next to the headlight and hazard switches (middle of pic). Nothing connected to it and nothing within reach, actually everything inside dash has its connector except the EGR light and the radio. Anyone know what they have connected here?
    [​IMG]

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Well I dunno what happened, but today I took the truck for a drive and turn signals worked! Do they only work when the trucks running? Not working when ignition is in "ON" and engine off. Either that or something jostled loose/fixed itself on the drive! Hazards still aren't working though. I have a spare in my parts tub so maybe I'll try swapping it out and see if it was a bad switch.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Turn signals only work with the key in the ign on position. Hazards should work as long as there is power

4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Yeah my signals don't work in either acc or on settings of ignition, only with engine running. Figured they should work in on setting, but not this truck for some reason. Weird.

5. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    yup, ALL lights, including turn signals, should work with key ON. engine doesnt have to be on. maybe u have a bad, hazard switch. i know that if u dont have it installed, it will make the lighting sys go crazy. so maybe, it has an internal fault. idk. just spit balling here. even the dimmer/rheostat switch affects the light sys. maybe check that as well