New from CT, USA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by RG113, Mar 3, 2023.

1. RG113

RG113 Member

Truck:
    78 Hilux RV
    Hi everyone, here to learn as much as i can about the 1978 toyota hilux pickup chassis that is the base chassis for my rare 16.5ft rear hatch sunrader rv.

Currently looking to do an engine, trans, and rear end swap. Looking for someone near CT that knows about 3rz/7m swaps into the '78 hilux.

Thanks!

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Most likely you have the RN28-L cab and chassis. You have a metal ID plate under the hood that gives all drivetrain specifications. The only difference between the c&c and regular pickup is the heavy duty GO82 rear axle assembly.

These motorhomes are not aerodynamic and big hp engines would not be that practical.
    I’ve attached a copy of my ID plate so you know what to look for. Welcome.

If you have duel rear wheels the first
    thing to check is do you have 5 bolt hole rims or 6? If only 5, your rear axle is unsafe and needs to be replaced. If 6 lug rims you’re fine. A bad axle should be your first upgrade.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Physically it should be a similar install of a 3RZ to a newer pickup since im sure you have a 20R. Tranny mount will more than likely need to be modded.

wiring will mostly be standalone. Batt +/- is pretty easy to find. Starter trigger also. Wiring in the alternator should be fairly easy

4. RG113

RG113 Member

Truck:
    78 Hilux RV
    I do have the RN28, I also have the foolie rear end and have already purchased the 6 lug rear. I also picked up a w55 for the extra OD gear. (see pics)

As for my engine choice of a 3rz, I want fuel economy as well as. more torque. My stock 20r died from excessive blobby on my drive home from NM to CT. The 3RZ would be a 60+ lbft of torque increase over my stock 20r which is why it is my preference, the hp is just a bonus.

IMG_3138.jpg IMG_3177.jpg

Erwin Merida likes this.
  5. RG113

RG113 Member

Truck:
    78 Hilux RV
    I was planning on buying a donor truck to swap everything over from as I've heard of other people doing it. I assume I can keep the stock ECU from the donor truck correct?

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    If you can figure out the wiring from the stock harness then yes i assume you can keep the stock ecu. I believe most might go aftermarket because its easier to work with.

google the swap and watch some videos on it, there is a lot of info about it out there.

RG113 likes this.
  7. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Welcome aboard

RG113 likes this.