Need to by-pass the volt regulator. Please help

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by 77mini, Feb 14, 2013.

1. 77mini

77mini Enthusiast

So last night I knocked a couple off parts off the shelf when cleaning my garage and I have a feeling I broke it or it will never work right :(

I have a 77 20r, I've read how to run a gm coil and run a gm ignition module but doesn't say if it bypass the volt regulator or not. I also have to move the battery in the back or in the cab due to the tubs in the front

2. 77mini

77mini Enthusiast

Just realized I posed this in the wrong section, sorry

3. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Dont think u need to change the voltage regulater sense your not changing the alternator and the voltage will be the same as long as the voltage regulater is not putting out excessive voltage it's my under standing people swap to gm alternators and change or convert to either internal regulated alt or a gm voltage regulater because the alt puts out more than the Toyota voltage regulater can handle

If u did the gm alternator swap with your gm ignition swap I think you have to change the voltage regulater to handle the gm alt output I tried to find info on this topic for a while seems there are mixed topics on voltage regulators

4. 77mini

77mini Enthusiast

Yeah I've looked all last night and this morning, I knew the alt has to be swaped for sure but there got to be a way to by pass the volt reg on carb vehicle

5. not forgotten

not forgotten Addict

Truck:
    82 SR5 L/B
    I'm thinking of converting over to the gm one wire alternator (from LCE) too that has a internal regulator, talked to tech at LCE and he said doing this swap will get rid of your stock alternator, extenal volt regulator and all those wires and really clean it up, thinking about also pairing wth a optima yellow top, only thing I'm running and plan to later on is the truck itself, my 2 Viar 480's an a moderate stereo, with door seperates and (2) 8's.

Should the alternator be a 120 or 140? If anything in my plan is wrong feel free to correct me, I'll take all the help I can get.

Goodluck with your situation

6. 77mini

77mini Enthusiast

I'm also going to be running viar 480s.