Need some help

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Thomas johnson, May 12, 2018.

1. Thomas johnson

Thomas johnson Member

Truck:
    1990 Toyota pickup
    so I have a 1990 extra cab v6 5 speed 2wd. It’s bagged. I know I have a short in the lighting because when I have parking lights turned off the blinkers work fine but when I turn the right blinker on all the parking lights flash with it but if I have my parking lights on the right turn signal stays on. All exterior turn signal lights stay on and dash right turn indicator stays on. I’m digging into that shirt to find the issue. But the bigger issue I am having is the truck won’t start unless it’s jumped. Alternator is charging good. I could possibly have a weak battery but it’s reading 12.4 volts and won’t crank. But as soon as I hook up another car to it it will fire up the first crank. No hesitation. What r ur guys thoughts. It’s just hard to check for shorts when I can’t get a reliable start with out jumping it. Any input will help. Thanks in advance

2. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Check the tightness and cleanliness of your battery terminals. Not sure why your lights is fucked.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Battery can be bad and still show 12v, had it happen before.

As for the lighting and i check any wiring thats accessible, the turn signal stalk and the turn sig flasher

4. Hands_On_Henry

Hands_On_Henry Member

Truck:
    1985 22R/4spd
    Kind of sounds like everything that is acting up is part of the steering column wiring harness. If I'm not mistaken there is a plug in that harness somewhere for column removal. Maybe that would be worth checking out. That may be another place to check for proper grounding, I think there is usually one under there that goes to the dash structure or the column itself.

5. Thomas johnson

Thomas johnson Member

Truck:
    1990 Toyota pickup
    I’ve had the truck for about 4 years. Been parked for over a year. Both issues started when I just pulled it out the other day. I charged the battery up and over night it drained its self while I’m hooked from the truck. I’m gonna re do the whole battery system and run two batteries. Gonna go threw and re do a bunch of the wiring and change out a lot of the grounds and see where that gets me. Thank u for the fast response. I just have so much power going out between the sound system and the compressors for the bags. That I need to do a lot of upgrading.

One question i on I do have is can I run a bigger wire from alternator straight to the battery or does it have to go threw the fuse box.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Straight to the batt. Fuse box needs to be connected to one of the batteries tho. Make sure you upgrade your Alt.

7. Thomas johnson

Thomas johnson Member

Truck:
    1990 Toyota pickup
    I already have a high output alternator. So what if I do this run the factory wire coming from alternator fuse in fuse box to battery like it is stock and also run a bigger wire straight from alternator terminal to battery. Will that cause issues

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    That should be fine.

9. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    You really need two batteries to handle all your electric load. Besides two batteries, you’ll need to buy an “isolater “ to keep the two separate. Wiring is pretty simple. One battery for your bags and sound, other for normal truck functions. The isolater will prevent your accessories from draining your main battery.