Mystery Wire?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Aouate3, Feb 26, 2023.

1. Aouate3

Aouate3 Newbie

Truck:
    88' pickup regular cab w/ 22R and 4-speed manual
    Hey all,

I am hoping someone can pop the hood of their truck and give me a little guidance. I have attached photos to better show which wire I am referring to.

I have a 88 pickup that ive been slowly going through fixing issues from it sitting for 10 years.

The truck runs great after a tune up and some adjustments but I have found a wire sitting on the passenger side under the hood leading to the carb. (22R/California emissions stuff present)

Not sure what this is supposed to go to, the only thought I had is maybe its for the factory radio antenna? its a white wire with a black strip led to a connector with a brown wire with black strip on the other side.

I do know theres a few connectors under that dash that are un-used and a red wire at the radio harness i have no idea where it goes, but this one seems quasi important.

i have looked at the service manual and schematics for this truck however im a bit lost since i dont know what the wire is supposed to connect to

any help is appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Do you have a multimeter? May need to start testing for continuity to the fuse box right there.

3. Aouate3

Aouate3 Newbie

Truck:
    the wire runs under the fuse box into the factory harness, it doesnt lead directly into the fuse box. I have not yet put a meter to it, mainly out of being cautious if it leads to the ECU in the passenger footwell. my background is more in BMW repair and diagnostics so im super cautious around computer modules

4. Aouate3

Aouate3 Newbie

Truck:
    I have traced the wire back to the emissions control computer in the footwell, Brown wire with black strip, however schematics in my chiltons manual says its supposed to be tied into another wire and then grounded, and the toyota service manual i have just says it goes to the engine block. no description of what the wire controls, which really makes me hope someone with the same year and engine truck can look under their hood for me 333043153_541224351197704_4279242359253007890_n.jpg schematic.jpg

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Well if its supposed to go to the block then its a ground

6. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

Looks like a redundant ground to me, I really wouldn’t worry about it, but if it bugs you, connect it to the head, carb, or block and call it a day. If I had an 88 I’d take a look, but my 94 is efi, so it would be no help, and it’s still in winter hibernation.