My 1974 Hilux

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by tenfourtyeight, Feb 20, 2010.

1. tenfourtyeight

tenfourtyeight Member

Truck:
    94 single cab; 91 4wd extra cab; 74 Hilux
    I bought this thing on New Year's day, finally I'm getting around to posting this up.

I bought a house last year, so this thing will just get tinkered with as cheap as possible.

It has a 22R + 5-speed swapped in pretty ghetto, I'm going to clean it up a lot. Goes pretty good, though.

Pics:
    As I bought it:
    [​IMG]

Now:[​IMG]

Lots more pics here. Including pics of all of the VIN/ information tags on the truck, for posterity.

I plan to lower it 2 or 3 inches, not sure. I'd also like to get a lot of the broken and damaged crap replaced. I need the side vents, center dash piece, maybe some front fenders, definitely a bumper and valance. I also want to get a police car style push bar for it. I like the utilitarian/ military style a lot.

I will do no bodywork, I like the old school look.

Hopefully this explosion of RN22s on Toyotaminis doesn't stop! We need more!

David Eidson likes this.
  2. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Welcome aboard!

Congrats on the smog exempt Yota. :)

Those 22r's are a lot of fun.

BTW what exactly did you mean by, "...swapped in pretty ghetto"....?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  3. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    probably just a rough job on how it was all put in. i really like the truck. that color is almost exactly what ill mix up for my dodge. im digging it. it needs a major drop though. dont mind me. i tell everyone to lower everything. lol.

heres your front suspension:
    [​IMG]
    and here is mine :ROFL:
    [​IMG]

4. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    thats the same color mine was before some a$$hat PO repainted it beige:doah:

some where on this site ive got a lil write up for dropping the front.

i wish you the best of luck in finding the vents, if you find a decent source for em post up. just about every one ive seen spider cracks if you sneeze while holding it. love to have a decent set myself.

that grill badge is not correct. thats a 75-78 badge. your only supposed to have the gargantuan hood badge and the fender badges.

id also soak your rubber floor(like carpet but rubber) in silicone. BEFORE you ever try to remove it. you will NEVER EVER EVER find a replacement for it so make it flexible before you ever touch it.

eng doesnt look to hacked from the 1 pic, but if the dash radio cut out is any clue, i feel bad for you. they straight murdered that dash.

that bed is in amazing shape:eek: take care of any rust you have now, it is pretty hard to find one anything close to yours. and your sticker is in killer shape, if you take the bed off could you take a better pic of the sticker?

5. standardbyker88

Truck:
    by the way, i have extra interior parts. visor clips, fuse box cover, door handles, window cranks, few wiper and headlight switches, high/low/blinker stick, a 78 steering wheel (doesnt have the center leg), ect ect. if you need anything let me know. i also have a set of 94 crown vic cop car push bars. was gonna do the same theme on my dodge with them but they looked too small on that truck. they would be perfect for a yota. easy mounting too, it could bolt onto the front crossmember behind the valance probably.

6. tenfourtyeight

tenfourtyeight Member

Truck:
    toy boy- By ghetto I mean that all of the motor mount bolts were loose, one was missing, and one side of the motor has an 18R engine side mount, and the other is 22R. They used tin snips, I'm guessing, to cut the hole for the new shifter location, the tranny crossmember was hacked into to get the tranny low enough, and the tranny wasn't bolted in, but sitting on top of a big flat piece of rubber. There is also some melted wiring in the engine bay, and a whole lot of wires that don't go anywhere.

Sho- Thanks for the info, I figured I was gonna have a hard time finding stuff for this thing. Murdered is a great way to describe that dash! I will take a better picture of the sticker for you, as well.

standardbyker- Thank you for the info as well, I will definitely get some parts from you, I'll let you know what I need.

Sho and standard- I've been looking at your build threads for months, they are the reason I jumped on this thing when I saw it. Lots of inspiration, thanks.

One more question, what is the headlight configuration supposed to be? Only the center two work, and the high beam light is on. When I move the switch back, the other two dont work. Bulbs and fuses are good.

7. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    the outer 2 are your normal lights (low +hi) the inners are dedicated hi's.

my truck came the same way, it turned out that the PO had just pulled the wire out of the light plug on both outers. they were nice enuff to tape off the exposed end to not blow fuses:shrug:

id check the plugs

8. standardbyker88

Truck:
    so you get center highs but no lows or outer highs? sounds like the plugs. could also be in the high/low switch. pop the wheel off, and take the assembly off. clean the contacts with sandpaper. if nothing else, it doesnt hurt. i have a spare since napa wants waaay much for them. like $180 last time i checked. retarded. thats also why i have spare relays for all the underdash stuff, and extra switches. plus i have 2 wiper switches. one acts as the stereo keyed power source mounted in the 3rd dash circle spot.

and if you replace the inner lights with outer style bulbs and run a jumper wire you can have 4 lows and 4 highs. or run H4 housings in all the spots and wire that way.

9. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    sweet truck!

10. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    the campers that came on these trucks.... some of them had pretty sweet push bars. they were called chinooks i think.

11. tenfourtyeight

tenfourtyeight Member

Truck:
    I disassembled the high beam/ turn signal switch, cleaned it and lubed it up with some dielectric grease, and everything works great now.

I took off the chrome headlight covers, too. I thought about painting them black, but I can't get myself to sacrifice the light output. We'll see what happens the next time I get bored.

I'm going to try this.^

I also threw together a small list of interior parts that I would like to get.

Inner glove box
    A black pass. side door panel in black
    That center dash piece
    New door seals
    A driver side door handle/ armrest
    Fuse box cover
    Windshield and molding

I'll add a lot more later, I'm sure.

standardbyker- Send me a PM with prices for anything you want to get rid of, including the push bar.

12. Nook

Nook Addict

:confused: I,ve seen a couple of those Chinooks before, what push bars you talking about :shrug:

13. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    both chinooks at the yards here in Yuma have push bars. I assumed its stock.

14. Nook

Nook Addict

Must be an add on by a P/O as Chinook never had anything like that stock or as an option.

15. tenfourtyeight

tenfourtyeight Member

Truck:
    I used my day off to finish my grille work:
    [​IMG]

New headlights; painted headlight covers flat black on the outside, red on the inside; new turn signal lever end; painted grille dark gray primer; spliced in a second horn from a T-100.

Headlights reflecting the red:
    [​IMG]

.40 cal turn signal knob:
    [​IMG]

This thing looks a little bit better now, too:
    [​IMG]
    Eventually I'll paint the letters red or something.

16. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    i like it. coming along well!

17. Seth Del Pizzo

Seth Del Pizzo Newbie

Hello, looks like how mine did when I got it. I do however have a police brush gaurd.. My fuse box just went faulty. :-( ha ha. It's a good truck

18. Zachary Neuman

Zachary Neuman Newbie

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    What's wrong with that bumper? Good luck finding another one.