LS oil pan

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by aduarte, Sep 25, 2017.

1. aduarte

aduarte Member

Truck:
    1990 Toyota Base Model 2 wheel drive
    Hi everyone,
    I wanted to inquire on the owners who swapped in LS motors in their builds on the oil pan choice. Did you use an oil pan from a certain model or year vehicle? I am installing a 5.3 from a 2006 Silverado into my 1990 Toyota pickup 2 WD. The oil pan from the Silverado is deep, so I was looking for a shallow GM oil pan if possible.
    Thanks.

2. Blacklightnin55

Blacklightnin55 Member

Truck:
    1990 Ext-cab
    I'm also doing a LS swap in a 1990 DLX. I'm using a Holley oil pan. It should allow me to mount the engine lower in the frame and provide the necessary clearance for the swaybar.

3. aduarte

aduarte Member

Truck:
    Thank you for your response. I did see the Holley oil pan when I looking for oil pan options. I wasn't sure if he pan would clear the front crossmember. Good luck on your build.

4. Blacklightnin55

Blacklightnin55 Member

Truck:
    1990 Ext-cab
    Good luck with yours also. Keep in touch.

5. aduarte

aduarte Member

Truck:
    Thanks. I dropped my truck at the shop where the engine swap will be done. As much as I would love to do the swap myself, the neighborhood where I live does not approve of these projects due to HOA rules. I will send you pictures as the work progresses. Take care.

6. aduarte

aduarte Member

Truck:
    My engine builder used the Holley pan you mentioned with good results. It cleared the crossmember. I did drill out the side spout on the oil pan to connect my mechanical oil pressure gauge.

7. aduarte

aduarte Member

Truck:
    How is your LS project coming along? My truck is running now, but I am having the exhaust system redone since it seems to be too restrictive. The muffler shop that did my system had to many bends in the pipes that I did not like. I currently have Hooker block hugger headers on the engine, but I am looking for another set of headers that have longer tubes for better mounting of the exhaust pipes. What exhaust system are you running on your LS?

8. Blacklightnin55

Blacklightnin55 Member

Truck:
    1990 Ext-cab
    I haven’t done anything with it lately. I did purchase a 6 cyl rearend and a Supra LSD. On the fence as to what gear ratio to run. Thinking maybe 3:93 to go along with the T-56. I know everyone suggests a Ford rearend but it’s a little wider than the Toyota and I plan on running 19x8’s on front and 19x9’s on rear. With the Ford rear the tires would stick out too far passed the fender and that’s not what I want.

As far as exhaust I hoping to use a set of 2012 exhaust manifolds that I have. I will alter them if need be.

I also purchased a set of used LS6 injectors need to have them sent out for cleaning and calibration.

What did you use for power steering hoses?

9. aduarte

aduarte Member

Truck:
    Since I am using a 4L60E trans in my truck, I picked up a complete 8.8. rear end from a Ford Explorer. The rear was built with a factory 3.27 gears based on the rear end tag on the cover. Once I have it in the truck, I will see if I need to change the gearing or keep it as it is. I will be running 17x7 and 17x8 wheels, so fender clearance might not be a problem. Good luck on your build.

10. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    I have an 8.8 in my truck. They're the easiest to narrow if you know how to weld well, have $50, and 8 hours of time. By shortening the driver side tube you end up with a axle width nearly identical to the stock Toyota. That way you can run whatever rims you want and have plenty of room

11. aduarte

aduarte Member

Truck:
    Thank you for the information, Erik. I appreciate it. I was following the Fabricator series on YouTube and he shows a detailed process in shortening and welding the Ford 8.8 rear end for those builders planning to install a 8.8 in their projects. The wheels that I ordered all have 0 offset, so I am hoping that will not have any clearance issues. With the LS engine, 4L60E trans and the Ford rear, my truck will have a drivetrain where I can readily purchase replacement parts in any standard parts store anywhere should I need to in the future.