Lowering the front on a 78

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by 78xHilux, Apr 26, 2020.

1. 78xHilux

78xHilux Newbie

I need help on lowering the front. The rear is lowered 4 inches and I'm having trouble finding the right springs to evenly lower the front 4 inches. Looking for springs that will help lower the front 4 inches

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Mighty max springs will lower it. You may need to cut them if its not enough

3. 78xHilux

78xHilux Newbie

Because I know that you have to modify the springs in the front by getting springs from a different car to lower the truck but I dont know what specific springs they are called

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Mighty Max or D50 springs, springs from a Mighty Max Or D50.
    Or just pull your stocks out and chop them.

or message me and il ship you some cut springs.

5. 78xHilux

78xHilux Newbie

I heard a lot of bad things about chopping stock springs

6. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    There is nothing wrong with chopping springs, as long as you understand how your springs "work" and do it right. I (and everyone else) cut a few back in the day (70s) when there was no such thing as "performance springs". Coilovers were race units which could cost $2000/ea or more. There was even a local "performance suspension" shop that sold lowering springs, which people later found out were nothing more than cut oem springs.

Having said that, a 4" drop might be way too much to be able to achieve by cutting springs. When we were cutting springs back then, most people were going for, at most, about a 2" drop. 4" drops weren't a "thing" then. Modders looking for such a huge drop usually ended up just taking out the springs and driving on the bump stops or spending big coin on air bags, something else that was rare and expensive, back then...

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Heating springs is bad. Cutting them not so much, you're just taking away load handling and height. I ran mine cut for over 2 years and no issues. I can sell you mine and if you dont like them then just throw your stocks back in

8. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    I saw a hot rod show the other day, and he took the springs out and replaced them with air shocks, which would normally go on the back for towing etc. It seemed to work ok but you wouldn't know with some of these shows, I would think you would at least have to make sure that your shock mounts were up to the task. They are usually a larger diameter than standard shocks, so may not fit, and as far as I know, they don't make them for the front.
    Might be worth having a think about though.
    https://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A5839A0A0.aspx

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I think VW guys did that back in the day. Not a great idea, theyre not meant to support to weight

10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The few bad things about cutting springs is first you turn a mating surface into a very small point. You drastically change the profomance of the coil. And if you go to far you're going to be bouncing on the spring with rebound. It might not be as bad as a honda with cut springs on the rear because of the weight but still not good.

11. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    The shocks in the link are rated at 1100lbs of extra lift,