lowering a 1978 toyota truck

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Raymond Pyle, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Raymond Pyle

Raymond Pyle Newbie

Thank you for adding me. I am an old hotrod guy who has fallen for a 1978 Toyota Hilux as my newest shop truck. I would like to lower it a pinch 1-2" how is this done? I have not even looked under it. Also are there any interesting wheels that will fit it? I would like some black steel wheels with the 8 round holes but I can seem to get any of the wheel calcultors to go that far back.

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Stock Mitsu Mighty Max replacement coils are what most are using for the front springs to lower it about 2". For the rear, blocks are most common.

In regards to wheels, I believe any wheel that fits the 2wd Toyota pickups and Tacoma will work. Lug pattern is 5x114.3/5x4.5" and I think stock wheels were 15x7 dunno the backspacing/offset sorry. Only once did I find a chart online that included specs of these older trucks, with info about the hub bore, offsets, etc that fit it and even cars like the Corona and old Celicas, etc - but of course I can't find it anymore!

Main reason I haven't lowered my truck yet is that my math says my current Mustang wheels have too large of tire to be able to steer if I keep them after lowering. I'm planning on using Jeep "turbine" mag wheels in the final setup, so basically I need to clean them up in order to get tires put on them, which I need in order to lower it....ah that too familiar cycle when modifying things on vehicles, lol

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    If you wana do it cheaper just pull the coils out and cut a turn or 2. And blocks out back.