lowering 4wd frame questions

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by JLC, Apr 15, 2013.

1. JLC

JLC Member

Truck:
    90 Std. Cab short bed (T-Bag)
    Hello all,
    I have another project in the works I am building a AWD race truck and have some questions about lowering the 4wd frame to basically stock 2wd ride height and was wondering what I would have to do in order to accomplish this. Im new to lowering and want to try and avoid having large blocks in the rear as its going to be a race truck.
    I figured what better way to gain knowledge about this than ask the best.
    The truck will be tube chassis and fiberglass everything else but the cab shell its self.
    Any and all input is appreciated
    Thank you

2. HOSHPOSH

HOSHPOSH Enthusiast

Truck:
    83' Hilux(sold), 88' Fordyota(sold), 79' Hilux(sold)
    I contemplated lowering my 4wd frame extra cab since it had a 302 in it. But after thinking of all the work it would take I gave up and sold it. For the rear you would have to get a 2wd axle or weld plates to mount the leaf springs under axle not over axle. For the front you would have to weld in a 2wd front clip or fabricate the front yourself end and raise the crossmember.

But, if you are doing a full one off tube chassis I would recommend doing independent front and rear suspension with coilovers, fabricating the front and rear diff's in somehow. Also consider diffs and axles from cars that already have upper and lower arms instead of a solid axle.

Or just body drop it and throw some street wheels on and get rig of the big ol 31x10.5's for some 196/50's :)

3. JLC

JLC Member

Truck:
    I forgot to mention I am planning on an ls1 under the hood and running 1/4 mile so dont need cornering I am debating between a solid front axle or ifs set up because dont know if the ifs would stand up to an awd launch/power. I know that I can run supra difs in the front and rear which will be helical.
    I do like the idea of the 2wd rear axle. But will that set the rear too low in comparison to the front? And what I ment by tube chassis is more of a full roll cage so I still need the frame I already have a 2wd with a sbc stuffed in it and the reason I am going with the 4wd frame is because of torsion bar placement and front axle is already there.

4. HOSHPOSH

HOSHPOSH Enthusiast

Truck:
    83' Hilux(sold), 88' Fordyota(sold), 79' Hilux(sold)
    The IFS should be just fine for a power launch. Are you looking to run slicks on all four wheels?

The 2wd rear will put you at stock height in the rear for a 2wd, which is where you said you wanted to be. Also some sway away weld on traction bars would be ideal to keep you from busting driveshafts and having a radical pinion angle. Look up drag 4 links too.

No matter what angle you look at it, you are going to have to do some fabrication to make a 4wd truck into a low drag car with an LS1. Easiest way I can think of it would be to swap in a 2wd rear, throw some traction bars on, and adjust the torsions down and put in shorter shocks to lower the front. The engine will sag the front end a bit too.

5. JLC

JLC Member

Truck:
    Yes I was planning on traction bars at first at least until I can get the 4 link and build it. But my main concern is the front end like u stated just turn the torsion bars to drop it down. But would it be able to go low enough in the front without having to get drop spindles? Im not trying to avoid fabrication I have been anticipating it. Just trying to cut down on having a lot of it frame wise as I will be stuffing the ls1 with the awd trans into it and a full cage.

Yes I plan on slicks on all 4 corners

6. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    im sorry, i dont mean to sound like a dick here but this is just a bad idea all the way around and it has been talked about on here before. you are going to be fighting a huge uphill battle trying to do this. first the 4x4 system is NOT an awd system so there is no center diff. they are 2 different things and require different parts, and work in different ways. id look them up.
    second, you might get a little drop from the torsions but thats it and you cannot put drop spindles on a 4x4 because of the axles. also, the frame and front suspension of the 4x4 will not allow you to drop it very far without the CVs binding up and breaking all the time. then even if you got around the CV issue, the cross members for the trans/tranfer case and the lower control arms would dig into the ground like big anchors.
    third, the 2wd and 4x4 use different lug patterns. so if you put a 2wd axle in the back back you'd be 6 lug in front, 5 lug in back. it would also be a down grade in strength because the 2wd is a 7.5'' and the 4wd is a 8''.
    those are just the tip if the ice burg of problems to come from this type of project. sorry to shoot your dreams down but, to me it would not be worth the time or effort, and definitely not even worth all the money to try this experiment.

7. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    Simple. Just stack sand bags into the engine compartment and bed until you reach the desired stance. LOL! Seriously, what kind of transfer case were you going to run for the AWD system? Are you going to do a stock AWD system or go with an aftermarket?

8. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Wait you wanna lower the 4x4 frame but then you stated it was going to be a tube framed chassis are you referring to a tubed back half ? .. All in all man get a 2wd truck put a ladder bar setup In The rear with a narrowed ford nine inch rear end . and run slicks . With the Ls motor . It will hook .. cheaper and reliable I've seen ls3 miatias dead hook on drag radials at the track and they don't way nuttin.

Unless your set on awd it will be difficult finding a gm auto trans namely the 4l60e or the 4l80e that won't shatter under the strain of awd launches . Just ask any trailblazer ss or ss silverado owners

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  9. JLC

JLC Member

Truck:
    Ok just to clear some air here. I plan on doing the awd 4x4 idea as I already have a 2wd with a 355 and th350 in it running 12's. Now im moving onto the awd idea its going to be an ls1 with a 4l60e and a borg warner. 4472 tcase (awd) with a 65% rear 35% front split.

The cage will be welded to the frame and the frame will be reinforced is what I ment by tube chassis sorry for mis speaking.

As far as the base model 2wd came with a "g" code 8" rear end same as 4x4 v6 and 4runners but it was only a 2 pinion and thats only offered in the 4spd I believe thats what my other truck was the tag reads g662. Now the non base model 2wd trucks along with 4cyl 4x4 trucks came with "f" code 7.5" rear ends.
    2wd were all 2 pinion and all 4wd were 4 pinion as fsr as I know. The 3rd member swaps between housings as long as you have the same size (ie. 8" to 8" and 7.5" to 7.5") but u need the entire 3rd member. I am running 4.10 4 pinion rear out of a 94 4 runner in my stock g code 2wd housing. The splines are the same between 4 and 2 wheel so long as u use the correct size 3rd member 7.5" to 7.5" and 8" to 8". So switching a 2wd axle to 6 lug is farily simple.

Now for lowering. I may have mis led how far im planning on going. Myb intentions are maybe 3" at best. And just the engine and trans/tcase will prob put the front down enough haha.

Sorry for the spelling errors im using a galaxy s3 and makes it a pain to write on the forum

10. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Sound like ya got it handled if u already got a 2wd in the 12s then I say go for it awd would be unique
    Are you gonna put a stall in the 4l60 I just did a yank 3200 stall about a week ago man totally different trans now

11. JLC

JLC Member

Truck:
    Ya. I am currently putting a 3700 stall in my 2wd and nitrous hoping for 10's this year but dont know if she'll do it.

Yes I plan to stall the 4l60e to a 2800 to 3200 so it'll be under full power launching. Just really concerned about the ifs and cvs handleing the power even though its 35% the ls will be around 370hp to start before nitrous. Cam. And/or boost. Havent got that far yet. Leaning toward nitrous since I already have a full plate kit sitting next to it. But thats putting the cart before the horse.

12. JLC

JLC Member

Truck:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Heres my 2wd after putting the 3700 stall install

13. DarksideJr

DarksideJr Newbie

Truck:
    1993 Reg Cab
    Done it twice

Ive done it on 2 4runners. On both in the front I renotched the torsion bars, 2 notches if I remember correctly, cut the bump stop mounts and angled them up. On on the leaf spring was heated at the rear shackle. The other one had a spring perch welded to the bottom of the axle and used 2wd shock mounts.

With Heated springs [​IMG]

And [​IMG]

With flipped perch on the Left with 205/50r 15x10 [​IMG]

14. 85pickamatruck

85pickamatruck Veteran

Truck:
    85' Base
    How dead set are you on running an LS motor?

You could also get a Lexus GS400, in Japan (also can be found in Canada) its called the Aristo. It comes in AWD 4.0L V8. The 1uz-fe is an amazing motor and people are making supercharger kits and twin turbo kits.

After getting that you can swap the block out for the Toyota Tundra 4.7L block. Its still a 1UZ but the displacement is larger and slightly stronger.

With doing the Aristo AWD swap you will now have IFS and IRS and be low to the ground. I wanted to do this swap but I decided to go with the SC400 swap.

If you cant find a running Aristo is Canada there are a number of companies that will import the entire setup, motor, running gear, suspension for the Aristo.

15. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    oh man thts sexy ass hell id love to have a dropped 4runner to cruise with out the top in so-cal

16. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    There's no comparison to the Ls series gm motors vs the 1uz for all out power the Ls series motors are monsters and the aftermarket is endless the 1uz is a nice v8 but would take serious cash to hit low 1/4 mile numbers like a Ls series motor can for way cheaper

17. 85pickamatruck

85pickamatruck Veteran

Truck:
    85' Base
    That is correct. It was just another option for a v8 awd that you wouldn't need to miss match parts. I.honestly do not know the max horsepower the 1uz awd system can take.

18. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    4.7L vs 5.7L.

There is a company with a 1000hp AWD SC300. I'm assuming it's a built AWD tranny from the AWD aristo.

19. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    Engine's, Subwoofers, that "toy" in the 'ol lady's sock drawer, it's all the same:

"There's no replacement, for displacement." :D

20. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    That's just something rednecks say when the have no comeback and must compensate for something else.