Lower profile offroad-ish tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by Comrade_Charlie, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    Im looking for some lower profile, maybe 205-50-15, I dont know, but I want something for my 73 truck that has some agressive tread, almost like a military truck or just something that doesnt look like a car tire.

these are pictures from oldschool64bus on his truck he said he got them off of some truck his dad had but I love the tread patern, but id want them a lower profile, wonder if I could find what im looking for for under 100 a tire. My truck kinda has that rat rod look and I dont think car tires will look right on it, but im trying to lower it like 1 or 2 more inches(my avatar was when it was sitting on bump stops with no springs, its higher now), I think its already lowered 3 in the front and rear so an truck or suv size tire wont work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    these arnt bad but still not low enough profile, and not agressive enough, ill have to see what I have on the truck now and see how much bigger 205-70 would be. its not thatttt bad but 205-50 would be better

Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S

3. oldschool64bus

oldschool64bus Veteran

Truck:
    1983 SR5 4x4
    all I know is those old tires are retreads so maybe look into that? That tall REALLY threw off the gearing too, was GUTLESS and with the shocks aired ALL the way up there was like a 1/4" till they rubbed lol

4. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    Haha yeah I might go with those yokohamas after seeing if that tire size will work, I still like those big nobs on the side of those old tires, but more I think about it some of the tire is going to tuck under the fender and that would just hit my fender and rip it off hahah.

Also question about air shocks, with them all the way down do they still function like a shock, or is a air shock just something to adjust height with?

5. oldschool64bus

oldschool64bus Veteran

Truck:
    1983 SR5 4x4
    on my old truck they still had a little up travel left with no air, aired all the way up got me like 3-4" of lift. My truck was also notched and the upper mounts were on the crossbar several inches higher than stock, on a stock truck they might bottom out with no air. click this and check it out fullsize, HUGE pic but you can see the shocks in the left corner of the bed and the crossbar with the upper mounts

[​IMG]

6. Motormouth759

Motormouth759 Member

those geolanders are good tires and ive had friends run them on Play trucks and them go places most street/all terrains wouldnt go.

7. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    Cool, thats the kind of notch I would like to do on my truck, it seems simple, build it, weld it on, then cut out between where you welded. I am about 3 inches from hitting my frame, its sitting on the rear bump stop.