Lost power to Corner and parking lights. Help!

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by HiLuxDreams, Apr 10, 2021.

1. HiLuxDreams

HiLuxDreams Member

Truck:
    91 Hilux 22RE
    So recently I lost power to my dash, corner, and parking lights. Checked fuses and relay, no issues there. I can't figure out where the problem is.

Recently I changed my headlights to LEDs and everything was working fine for a couple weeks. Not sure if my problem could be related to that or if the problem just occured coincidentally. Any help is appreciated.

91 Toyota pickup 22Re 2WD

2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Led use a lot less juice then halogens.. most setups require using resistors to aid with rapid flash conditions.. did yours do that before it went out?

HiLuxDreams likes this.
  3. HiLuxDreams

HiLuxDreams Member

Truck:
    91 Hilux 22RE
    Didn't have any rapid flashing. I believe the harness I have connected has resistors and it's own fuses. I've been told that it may be a bad ground causing the issue but I'm not sure how to go about finding it.

(I'm still new to building these trucks and the electrical end of any vehicle is still very foreign to me)

It's strange because everything was working fine after the LEDs were installed and then suddenly on my way to work I lost lights on my dash and parking lights.

4. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Ohh yeah, that sounds like something vibrated loose! Lol. If it was just one side of your corners, then I would suggest testing the bulb sockets. But since a lot of your systems went down together, I can almost assure you it's a ground. If you don't have a manual handy, look up headlight wiring diagram off google and locate your harness' grounds.

HiLuxDreams likes this.
  5. HiLuxDreams

HiLuxDreams Member

Truck:
    91 Hilux 22RE
    Thank you Erwin! Your help is very much appreciated!! I will update after I work on it when I get home from work tomorrow

6. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    LED headlights would have no effect on your flasher relay. It sounds like a ground issue. My truck is much older than yours but electric is pretty standard.
    Another area to check is your headlight switch itself. Some of your gremlins can appear from a defective switch. Is your rheostat for dash lights turned up to full bright? On my truck the instrument panel ground wire is behind the radio on the fire wall. Yours may be in a different location. Electrical gremlins can be really hard to locate. Good luck.

HiLuxDreams likes this.
  7. HiLuxDreams

HiLuxDreams Member

Truck:
    91 Hilux 22RE
    Thank you for your advice! I ended up plugging in my cousins headlight switch to see if would fix the issue but it was unsuccessful. Yes the dash lights are on full bright lol.
    I'll definitely look to see if my ground wire is located in the same area, thank you. Wish me luck! I will tackle this problem in about 8 hours

8. HiLuxDreams

HiLuxDreams Member

Truck:
    91 Hilux 22RE
    *UPDATE*

Haven't fixed the issue with the instrument and parking lights. I found most of the grounds and they appeared to be in good condition... unfortunately I ran out of time to dive deeper into finding my bad ground but I will jump back on it in a few days when I'm off of work.

I have been told that there are two grounds I should check which require me to take my front fenders off. I don't know much more than that but if that proves to be a smart next step then my next day off will consist of that.
    :headbang:

Erwin Merida likes this.
  9. HiLuxDreams

HiLuxDreams Member

Truck:
    91 Hilux 22RE
    *UPDATE*
    :brickknock::brickknock::brickknock:

Can't find the problem. Cleaned most of not all contacts and grounds. Checked bulbs. Tried new headlight switch. Checked sockets if I'm getting power. Checked relays.

Nothing fixed my problem. So far I'm going to continue to bang my head against the wall till a new idea comes up.:brickknock::shrug::cry:

10. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Have you tried putting the original headlights back in?

HiLuxDreams likes this.
  11. HiLuxDreams

HiLuxDreams Member

Truck:
    91 Hilux 22RE
    Unfortunately I got rid of them. :brickknock::brickknock::brickknock:

12. HiLuxDreams

HiLuxDreams Member

Truck:
    91 Hilux 22RE
    Update

Haven't had much time to troubleshoot much. Still haven't resolved the issues. Checked for voltage drops and didn't find any on the grounds inside the engine bay. Will check for continuity on my harness later today hopefully. Also have my cousin checking for a power probe to see if that can help me find where the electrical issue is. Hopefully you get this figured out soon :rolleyes2:

13. HiLuxDreams

HiLuxDreams Member

Truck:
    91 Hilux 22RE
    *Update*

Though I can say where exactly but it was definitely a grounded wire. I re secured most of my reachable wiring and the problem has went away. Again, not sure what was fixed but I can tell you that I'm glad the problem is gone.

14. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I would go back to the main fuse block, pull the fuse & use a meter or test light & see if there is power ,or just throw a new fuse in !
    There has to be power there to start!If so than keep test along the feed wires!
    Below are the wiring diagrams ,these are for 84-88 but should be the same on your truck, the hazard lights & instrument lights are on the same fuse. The headlights are on a different fuse.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  15. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd