Looking for a pre-smog cab

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Eutahg, May 15, 2017.

1. Eutahg

Eutahg Newbie

Truck:
    1988 Pickup, 22r 2WD
    maybe a long shot? I just need an old cab so I can eliminate smog checks. I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of an old toyota freak with waaay to many vehicles/parts on their property.

Attached Files:

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    All you really need is the vin tags and title. You wont need the body

4. Eutahg

Eutahg Newbie

Truck:
    1988 Pickup, 22r 2WD
    I wish that was my toyota collection! sadly thats just a bait photo off of google. sorry if i got your hopes up, that is just the kind of backyard I am looking for full of a bunch of...stuff.

Last time I tried to get the ole girl smogged, the tech just checked the VIN in the door and on the firewall. now that I think about it, Those VIN's didnt register in the system. I had to read off from the actual pink slip. I will look into frame VIN status's, but im sure thats not as big of a deal

5. Eutahg

Eutahg Newbie

Truck:
    1988 Pickup, 22r 2WD
    I figured that was also possible and that kind of thing can be mailed from anywhere (in the states). I've never shopped for VIN's before, I dont know what is cheap/expensive!

6. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Well I could be very wrong on this but I thought it's always quite difficult to acquire a pre-smog title if you don't already have one for the chassis or body you're planning to use -- otherwise a lot of people would try and do this to avoid smog laws. It's the main reason why I held out to find my 1975

If you have a pre-smog title already then you're pretty much good to do anything you like and as long as you never take it in for an inspection of any sort where they're trying to match up VINs and nitpick things.

There IS another type of vehicle that can fall under "no-smog" and that is a "specially constructed vehicle" privilege. Basically I understand it as you have a multiple-VIN creation that doesn't resemble any one of those particular original vehicles -- but the catch is that the CA only allows 500 of these per year across the whole state and I believe the smog status is determined by the CHP/Sheriff or Referee when you take it in for that initial inspection to get it titled/verified.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/spcnsreg
    https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/spcns

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    op is basically going to have to purchase a truck and just swap the vins onto the vehicle he doesnt want to smog.

8. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.

The standard 17 digit VIN was not enacted until 1981. The VIN also known as the "chassis identification number" varied by manufacturer prior to 1981.
    Toyota trucks 72-78 used a metal plate attached to the drivers side inner fender. The ID # usually starts with the letters "RN". It also includes the trans/rear axle/ and paint code #.
    You could try switching plates from a pre-smog to a smog vehicle. But all smog equipment would have to be removed. And that pesky "unleaded fuel only" decal would have to disappear.
    All Toyota trucks of this generation have the chassis ID stamped on the left front frame rail just forward of the lower A-arm.
    If a suspicious inspector checks this against the mfg plate, you will be screwed.

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    All he needs to do is "purchase a truck" from someone willing to let go of just the vin and license plates (by vin i mean the vin plates/tags. Then register that vin under his name and put the vin and plates on his truck and done.

There shouldnt be any inspections unless the vehicle he gets the vin from isnt in the DMV system anymore

10. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Not sure how Cali works. But any DMV that's suspicious about a VIN will check the mfg plate against the frame. The #'s have to match.
    I was a DMV inspector for over 20 years.

11. Eutahg

Eutahg Newbie

Truck:
    1988 Pickup, 22r 2WD
    Fred, youre just the guy I need to talk to. not sure how relevant this is, but a neighbor was telling me about frame swaps on his Harley's. Basically, if I remember right, he was saying something along the lines of "I just said the old frame was damaged and replaced it with an aftermarket" Is there any circumstance where I can say something like that to sneak by?

further than that, I have never had a DMV associate even look at my cars. I just wait around for half a day, dish out a bunch of money and they give me plates or reg or any of the other various reasons I've been in there. The closest anyone may get to the frame MFG # would be the smog shop. I guess its worth noting that I havent dealt with too many pre '75. Still though, when I registered my super beetle, it was a sign here, pay this much, heres your tags deal

12. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    It depends on the DMV your dealing with. I know nothing about California DMV laws.
    In regards to emissions, if your claiming your vehicle is exempt due to age, any residual emissions on the engine would raise my eyebrows.
    I wasn't as concerned with emissions as I was with theft. But Cali is kind of anal about emissions.
    Chances are most inspectors wouldn't notice. But........ if something strikes them as being out of the norm, they will investigate further.
    Bottom line, it's your call.
    Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    If its 1975 or older it doesnt get smogged ever

14. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:

Right...... So you bring your 1975 in for an inspection. I see air pump brackets, carbon canister, egr ports etc. I say...... why are all these emissions components on a truck that never had them to start with.
    Some may not care. But you get one that's suspicious, then the checking begins.

15. Eutahg

Eutahg Newbie

Truck:
    1988 Pickup, 22r 2WD
    Fair enough fred, fair enough. So the pre smog 22r's intake manifold dont have any of the vacuum lines or charcoal canisters? if thats the case I would just track one of those intakes down, or jump over to LCE's website and order a block off kit and a weber 32/36.

This is if I had to worry about a DMV inspection. like I said before, I have never had the DMV even look at the car I was registering.

16. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    The 22R is a 1980's engine. 20R is late 70's. 1975 and earlier should be an 18RC.
    Your engine will give you away to anyone who knows Toyotas.
    Go for it. Just hope you get a stupid inspector.

17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    @Eutahg just do it bro. Ive had this idea in my head for along time in case my truck somehow got wrecked id just buy it back from the insurance and buy another truck and just swap VINs. No inspections, no problem

18. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I believe the 20r showed up in 1974, all the 73's I've seen had an 18r. My 1975 CA model had a 20r with smog equipment, the PO removed it all.

I'm pretty sure that if you have a pre-smog title that is IN THE SYSTEM you will be good to just fork over $ and the paperwork falls in line. If it is not in the system, that's when the DMV will have to verify and inspect the vehicle before they will issue paperwork. Sometimes I think they send you to go see a CHP officer to inspect your vehicle and inspect it -- that's what I had to do with an out of state diesel vehicle I bought once, they had to verify the VINs in like 3 places on the vehicle since the diesel falls under that no-smog category and they wanted to make sure it was legit, not some engine swapped "diesel".

Good luck though. I've personally dealt with the Oceanside DMV for the first half of my driving experience, that place is possibly the busiest DMV in all of SoCal.

19. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    20R showed up in 75 in the trucks

20. Eutahg

Eutahg Newbie

Truck:
    1988 Pickup, 22r 2WD
    I got ahold of the guy up in san jose and sadly, he wants to keep the title and rebuild it with another cab, while retaining his smog-exemtion. I'm sure he'll get an inspection and the new cab will get a new VIN tag or something along those lines. oh, well

hey, on the subject of the 20r, do you guys have any knowledge on the hybrid 20r head/22r block build? Im sure there's an existing thread, It just popped into my head while I typed.