Light Bars?

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by Justin Danger, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Hi all,

I've been doing some more night driving in the hills these days, and the roads are quite twisty. I'm needing some better lighting for the twistiness of the roads and the speeds that I am going. Has anyone installed light bars on these trucks? I'm just thinking about width, placement, and beam angle. Under bumper? Behind grille? Any and all help is always appreciated.

Cheers

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Not many places available for mounting in these that hide the light aside from the grille.

whatever you do just dont be the asshole that drives with them on all time and blinds everyone coming the opposite direction

3. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    I just ordered a 52” 1525W curved light bar to mount under the overhang of my camper rather than roof mount it.

I’m really frustrated when driving at night and someone comes at you with their high beams on. I flick my lights momentarily to high hoping they will dim theirs, If not, I leave on high. Unfortunately, these trucks sit so low to the ground it really has no effect on the other driver.
    Once installed, I’ll give the same courtesy momentarily flick of factory headlights to high beam. If ignored, they will not like my response

Attached Files:

jetas likes this.
  4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    ^careful doing that, someday you'll flash the ahole in a brodozer without any lights on, who's apparently got LED light bars EVERYWHERE...That was a fun evening almost putting my car in a ditch after getting blinded. Same with the douches with them pointed backward off their truck

If you don't want a permanent install, I believe these days there are magnetic lightbars that use cigarette lighter power. Example: https://www.amazon.com/LEMIL-Magnetic-Cigarette-Lighter-Driving/dp/B07T74NL95

jetas likes this.
  5. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    LOL never heard “brodozer’ used before.
    I have some friends with rigs like that.
    Guess I’ll just have to take my chances.

jetas likes this.
  6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Cant stand people driving around with their Fckin high beams on.

7. Justin Danger

Truck:
    driving a lowered truck, I feel like we are all victims of high beam rage.

I remember stories of my grandpa in New Mexoco installing a foot switch for his high beams. I do believe that in California that an auxilary light like a light bar legally requires an independent switch, so I may do a foot switch.

8. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Actually, strictly speaking, Calif (and prolly other states but I only know Calif rules) is more restrictive than that (unless they've eased up the rules in the last few years):

Both aftermarket and factory auxiliary FOG lights have to be wired to only go on with the regular headlights. They cannot be used independently. I believe this is a Federal requirement. Yeah, I know. Defeats the purpose of foglights. So, everybody (except factory fogs) ignores the law.

Auxiliary DRIVING lights must not only be never used on the street, the circuit is supposed to be fused independently and the fuse removed until the vehicle is off-highway. Yeah, this rule is also ignored.

Not only are the rules ignored by owners/installers, they're generally not enforced. Unless, of course, the police want justification to stop you....

9. Justin Danger

Truck:
    thanks for the input! I tried to look up the regulations, and only found the things that others said, no actual vehicle codes.

Cops do hate on older and modofied vehicles around here. I've gotten the ol "what else can we find wrong here?" from the CHP befofe.

I've got super bright fog lights, but they only shine so far. Maybe I should just change my headlights.

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Spend the money and the a good retrofit of a projector into a 5x7 housing. LED bulbs and you're set

11. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  12. Justin Danger

Truck:
    yeah, I saw the laws about covering them, that is why I'm thinking that behind the grille is the way to go.

My headlights are a conversion to 5.75 round lenses, but I can look into projectors for that. I would just hate to loose the halos that I have, i really dig them.

13. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    I live in NC and no restrictions on light bars here.

Cali does have some weird laws.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
  14. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Actually, in the “old days” cars came factory with push switch on the floor for the high beams. Gramps was using what was common at that time. (Yes, I’m old).

15. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    I dunno, dude, you aren't that old. For me, "pops" was using the floor mounted high beam button.... LOL

American cars had floor mounted buttons until the late 1960s. The rest of the world had push/pull stalks first. I think, in the US, everyone just thought, "those quirky Europeans" until the 1970s when Japanese cars suddenly flooded the market with their stalk-actuated high-beams. Well, that's what I thought, anyway...

16. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    If you read Justin’s post, he references his grandfather installing a push button on the floor for high beams. I was referencing “gramps” when I explained that push buttons on the floor were standard equipment back then.

My first car was a 1963 Chevy impala. I’m 67 years old. I remember push button high beams. And “three on the tree” shifters.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
  17. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    LOL

We aren't that far apart. I'll be 64 this year...

18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux

BMW "ellipsoids" off an older 5 series. Takes some massaging to the headlight bezel and core support but they're awesome. Been running mine with HIDs til Dec when one died and then i switched to LED. Only issue would be they are only low beams.

This here is with HID. The light is a little over exposed but they're still bright as fck.

[​IMG]