Lets do this together! Fan Forum Rebuild

Discussion in '1984-1988 Pickup Discussion' started by Leonard Maloux, May 16, 2020.

?

What size rim and tire should I start with?

1. 15

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. 16

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. 17

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. 18

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Leonard Maloux

Leonard Maloux Newbie

1987 Toyota Pickup - side view.jpg Hello Everyone
    I hope all is well considering the current position we are all in. I have recently purchased a 1987 2wd Toyota Pickup, 5 speed, 2.5 with a 126,000 miles. I am looking to have some fun with the rebuild. I am not a mechanic and would rate my mechanic skills as zero on a 1-10 scale. However, I do enjoy the process of building something from nothing and the close knit comradery of the auto restoration community and even more the Mini Truck and Toyota communities. I do have a look that I would like to go with, However, I am completely open minded to input to getting this project moving. I have attached a picture of the truck where it has been sitting for 5 years. My first goal is to get it running. I will be changing the oil, spark plugs to start. I noticed there is some liquid all over the transmission. I am assuming the seals in the transmission have cracked possibly.

I also need tires and rims. There is not a matching set and it currently has 2 flat tires on 14 inch steel rims. I would like to lower the truck but definitely want a smooth ride not feeling bumps every time I take it for a drive.

I would also like to mention, I want to stay with a minimum budget and can be creative on getting used parts when necessary. As of now I could use some advice on rims. I like the older style rims, black steal rims, or even the older mustang rims. I know that finding the right size can be an issue. I look forward to your replies and will keep everyone updated. For now please feel free to send some replies with the rim size and style. Thank you.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    17s are a good size for minis. 18s are my personal favorite size for minis tho. Id honestly browse craigslist and see whats out there. Some old billets or some old cragars

TRUCK ACTION likes this.
  3. Leonard Maloux

Leonard Maloux Newbie

I also like the idea of 17’s. I do plan on lowering the truck and do not want any rubbing of the tires. Right now I’m working on the engine, I think I need to replace the vacuum transmitting valve, the local auto parts store can’t order it. Any suggestions on a website to order parts from?

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Do you have to smog in your state?

5. Leonard Maloux

Leonard Maloux Newbie

not for vehicles older than 2000

TRUCK ACTION likes this.
  6. coy

coy Member

15x8.5 on my 88
    [​IMG]

7. MikeH

MikeH Newbie

OEM is 14" inch wheels and going to 16" will reduce the side wall about right for better handling and still smooth ride. The 16" tires are available in many types and brands. They are still in the affordable range. It's a truck not a Supra. Never will be.

I have been riding on 205-70/14 tires (General Altimax RT43s, 2nd set) since I wore out the original OEM 195SR-14s. About 30 years of daily driving. The RT43 provide plenty or grip dry and wet (feel no difference), quiet, and with yearly rotation last a good 75,000 miles. Last set of 4 out the door in 2016 was $422.

Very happy with these 14s.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  8. Ruben De Loera

Ruben De Loera Newbie

Truck:
    1987 Toyota Pickup
    What’s the tire size?

9. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Welcome & nice ride.
    Now just slam the bitch, lower is better!!

jetas likes this.